TCP/IP error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobweb

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I have a kind of internet connection problem..
When I try to connect to the LAN in the campus at the college from WindowsXP, it gives an TCP/IP error.. but I can connect from Linux.

A few days ago, I have uninstalled ZoneAlarm labs, and i suspect that it has left the system inconsistent. But do not know what to do actually.. I have checked my IP number and gateways, they were not changed in fact, and I am stuck now, having no clue about what the problem could be!

Perhaps it is a good reason to go on with Linux, but I still need Windows sometimes,

So any help will be appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

When did this start happening?
Are you behind a personal router in your room?
Are you on sp2?
What have you done so far to resolve this issue?

It started 2 days ago, as I said just after uninstalling Zone Alarm.

I reinstalled the network drivers, but it did not work.

I don't know what a personal router is, i can just say that I am connected to the internet via LAN connection, that is all.
And yes, I have sp2 and so windows firewall, etc.
When I turn them off, it does not work either :(

jeremy said:

That might only work if the user can only ping IP addresses and not their corresponding domain name/address.

The other error message that might show up that for sure will need this Winsock fix is when trying to type in IPCONFIG or releasing/renewing with IPCONFIG is this:
An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket

Not sure of the poster's knowledge of TCP/IP, but here is how you determine if you can ping IP addresses &/or their corresponding domain name.

1)Open up a command prompt.
2) type in ping www.google.ca
3) note if any responses, yes or no.
4) type in ping 216.239.59.104
5) note if any responses

If you can ping the IP addresses & get responses saying Reply from etc etc... but not the domain names, then you will definitely need the Winsock fix.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom