T1 vs. Cable/DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
This may be a novice question, but its something I've always wondered. T1 Internet connections run at about the rate of 1.544 Mbps. These days, many cable/DSL services run from 3-6Mbps, much faster than the speed of a full T1. I have wondered what is the benefits businesses get from having a T1 (as most businesses do) instead of subscribing to a cable/dsl ISP which can provide 2-3 times the bandwidth? Also, how are small ISPs able to use say 2 T1s as their backbones and still provide service up to 1.5Mbps to multiple users?

As far as I understand it, which I may not at all, a T1 is a more dedicated line than DSL/Cable.DSL/Cable line are going to be branched out alot more from their backbone or MAN than a T1. This means that while they may tell you that their speed is 3-6 Mb/ps, they cannot guarentee it at all times.

Here are some numbers I have handy:

T1 cost: $1,000-1,500 for your 1.544Mb/ps that is deadpan reliable

DSL cost:about $100 for 3.0 Mb/ps of good service on non-peak hours if they don't overload their backone

the T1 is a garentied speed. i wont get any lower, and it has same upload as dl speed. And you are wrong on the prices, its no were near 1000-1500$.... its MUCH less even for one that is REAL good

Like the others are saying, it's dedicated vs. peak bandwidth. T1 lines are guaranteed 1.5 Mb at all times, whereas cable and DSL give you 3 Mb when few people are connected. Cable and DSL speeds can slow down from this peak speed.

My old work signed a 2 year contract for their T1 line, and are paying $650 or $750 a month (US). Without the contract, it was something like $1300 a month. I believe that's with AT&T.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention, yet, is IP addresses. AT&T gave us a range of IP addresses to use. We then assigned static IP's to our computers. Cable and DSL usually only give a single dynamic IP address.

Hence the word "dedicated" in a "Dedicated T1 Line". DSL nor any other public ISP will ever say GUARANTEE or DEDICATED in their ads

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom