T1 line with two public IP address's. Question/Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heil5796

Beta member
I work for a small company and they are having the local ISP drop in a T1 line with two public IP's. One IP is for the local machines and our local network. The other is so we can provide WiFi to our customers while they wait. The ISP said when they are done bringing in this line we will have one ethernet port to work with. Because I have a small budget to work with the only thing I could think of doing, is getting a switch with two routers. I would place the switch between the two routers and the one ethernet port coming from the T1 connection. WiFi would be required for obviously customers to link to, but also there would be 4-6 laptops and 3 desktops on the other router. I was planning on using a D-Link DGS-2205 switch and getting two D-Link DIR-815 wireless routers. Would this work relatively well, or is there another option that is less redundant and expensive.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Two public IPs? Why don't you just pay for one, and share it out to your customers as well as your work machines? Get one router and plug it into the T1. Most average routers these days have the capability of broadcasting more than one network. So setup one wireless network for your clients (With bandwidth restricted, or whatever else you want to put into place there) and one wireless network for your staff. Buy a switch, connect it to the router, and connect all the PCs your staff have to the switch.

I work for a small company and they are having the local ISP drop in a T1 line with two public IP's. One IP is for the local machines and our local network. The other is so we can provide WiFi to our customers while they wait. The ISP said when they are done bringing in this line we will have one ethernet port to work with. Because I have a small budget to work with the only thing I could think of doing, is getting a switch with two routers. I would place the switch between the two routers and the one ethernet port coming from the T1 connection. WiFi would be required for obviously customers to link to, but also there would be 4-6 laptops and 3 desktops on the other router. I was planning on using a D-Link DGS-2205 switch and getting two D-Link DIR-815 wireless routers. Would this work relatively well, or is there another option that is less redundant and expensive.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Yup, that is what we do (except we're on DSL). Cisco modem/router (controlled by the ISP) into a D-Link DGS-2205 and then routers behind that.

As for the 1 IP solution. Ya, that is also a way of doing it, but I find more customization benefits of using the dual routers.

Well yha in a larger situation it'd def be worth it, but considering the only thing the second connection is gonna be used for is (probably) one or two people surfing the web at any given time (more info needed here really), and considering you don't need to do anything fancy with it, IMO it'd just be easier/cheaper with one.

first setup is definitely more flexible and powerful to be sure, all I'm saying is it might be overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom