Switching to DSL from Cable? Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
I am using Cable internet now (from Knology, one local company like Comcast).

But lately, I am thinking to switch back to DSL. (I used to use it long time ago).

I also want to get VOIP phone. (maybe Vonage, maybe Skype.... or maybe Packet8).

So what do you think?

Would it be a good idea to switch to DSL? Especially that I want to have VOIP phone service as well.

DSL is usually slower isn't it? The internet share of my bill is $33/month, maybe like $37/mo with taxes for a ~12mbps line from Comcast. I was paying over $50 for a 7mbps line from Qwest via DSL. And VOIP phones work over any broadband connection, DSL is not a requirement.

Well. I think if I will only buy Cable (without TV or Phone, without any bundle) it will cost me about 50 or more, at least in my area.

How much is DSL faster?

I also heard that Cable is being shared, while DSL is like direct line to the connection center? is it right?

I'm pretty sure DSL is slower in almost all cases, so if you have cable...stick with it. Skype works with cable...(i know that from experience) so yea......

The ISPs should provide at least some estimate of upload/download speeds since most offer tiered pricing based on these speeds. You should also check to see if your local DSL provider requires you to have an analog phone line for their service.

I also heard that Cable is being shared, while DSL is like direct line to the connection center? is it right?

That is untrue and is sort of a misconception. Just because your neighbors and you share cable lines doesn't mean you share connections or you would ever affect each other's connection speeds. 2 minutes of research via Google could've answered that...

DSL and Cable are different net protocols. They both can deliver up to 1000mbs i think, just depends on the ISP. Many people prefer DSL because it doesn't have an external IP that doesn't change. DSL uses RJ-11 , and Cable uses cable line.

Some DSL connections are faster than cable.

I used to have Timer Warner Roadrunner Cable, 6MB.

I think we had moved, and the landlord there was being a ***** and wouldint let them come drill a hole in the wall for the cable lines so i switched to SBC DSL, also 6mb and it felt faster, and was actually more reliable than the cable i had prior.

This was back in 2004-2005.

Your DSL was more reliable ? it's utter crap over here. cable is way way faster and way way more reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom