Switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Hi, here's my setup. I have my brothers computer as the main computer in the basement, because it's closest to where comcast runs their wire into my house. So we have my family computer and my computer hooked up to his with the router. I had to run 50+ feet of cat5 cable through the walls from my room, top floor, to my brothers room in the basement and I don't what to do that again. Now my other brother moved back in, and has his room right next to mine, he wants to get internet to his xbox. So i was wondering if i could just buy one of those 10/15 dollar switches to get him and me both internet? and those routers cost like 50 bucks too, and i don't want to pay it.

here is the router that is in my bro's room, click
example of what i want to get click

oh, you will probably say, just make him pay for it, but if i get him the internet he will run tv cables to my room so i can watch tv.

if i understand what your saying correctly is that you have 2 bro's one lives in the basement one lives next to you up stairs and the one tat was next to you moved out and now he's moving back in and you have internet in your room and he wants internet for an xbox in his

to answer your question yes you can use the switches but there will still be some cat5 that you will have to run from your room to his, but this does save you from having to run more and more through the wall from the basement

Doesn't seem to be a problem...

does it look like this?

Attachments

• Router2xbox.jpg
    Router2xbox.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 40

If "R" means router, then change the second "R" to to a switch.

Modem -> Router -> PC, other PC, Switch -> PC and XBOX

You can only use one router on a network, as a router configures DHCP and gives each device an IP address. To add more ports (or put ports in other areas), use a switch. I have a little Netgear 5 port switch in the basement because I didn't have enough ports on my router, works just fine.

excellent. that's exactly what it's like, i'm glad it will work. I'm fairly advanced on the computer stuff, but when it comes to networking, i'm still a beginner, i figured it'd work, but i wanted to check and make sure, and yea, i already got the cat5 from my electronics teacher. thanks a lot for the help :D

If "R" means router, then change the second "R" to to a switch.

Modem -> Router -> PC, other PC, Switch -> PC and XBOX

You can only use one router on a network, as a router configures DHCP and gives each device an IP address. To add more ports (or put ports in other areas), use a switch. I have a little Netgear 5 port switch in the basement because I didn't have enough ports on my router, works just fine.

Yes that is true some what and that's what I was supped to put in the drawing but in order to have 2 routers on the same network you need to a unique IP address in the same range as the first router but it outside the range of the DHCP server on the first router and DHCP turned off on the second router. :D

Wouldn't it be simpler to go modem>router>switch> all devices? I can see why the other way might be a more feasable solution because of cabling, but I am just different I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom