Switch and router what is the difference??

RoadrunnerNBiggs

Baseband Member
Hey fellas. So I went to a job interview and was asked a lot of questions on networking and as I was answering I kind of confused myself in the process. The question is what is a switch and what is a router, and how are they different???

I know that switches are better than hubs, and switches can be connected to a router just to add more ports so more computers can be connected onto the LAN; however, are there any other differences??? Which is more secure? Do they both do the same things? If I had a switch, is it necessary that I have a router as well??

In addition to the above link, I suggest reading up on the layers of the OSI model (you'll find a million websites on it through a simple google search). Learning the fundamental concepts of networking will help you make sense of the different networking devices - for example, hubs, switches and routers all operate on different layers. Once you understand what the different layers do you'll see how big of a difference it is.

In addition to the above link, I suggest reading up on the layers of the OSI model (you'll find a million websites on it through a simple google search). Learning the fundamental concepts of networking will help you make sense of the different networking devices - for example, hubs, switches and routers all operate on different layers. Once you understand what the different layers do you'll see how big of a difference it is.

I second this

Back
Top Bottom