Switch or Hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
Okay what is the difference between a switch and hub? I want to start hosting some LAN parties but am confused on this. Also what would be better to use a switch or a hub? I want to give the few computers internet as well as connecting them to play games.

They are basically the same with a few minor differences. I can explain them if you really like. The main reason you don't hear of hubs as much anymore is that the prices of switches have come way down. A basic 8-port switch is the way to go for LAN parties.

TrendNet isn't the greatest when it comes to support but you won't need much support for a switch. And yes you can bridge them very easily. Plug port #8 into port #1 and you're good to go.

Yea, use either a crossover or a straight through cable, switchs can use either one on any port if I remember right when bridging them. But, IMO, D-Link has some GREAT 8 port Gigabit switchs that autosense the wire length and uses power according to how much wire is used.

I will look into. Headed into the big city tonight so I will have some time to look around. I was looking at the trednet do to is super low price. But I will look at others as well.

I ended up with a Linksys 8 port workgroup switch from best buy for $45. I will be linking computers as soon as I get home monday :D.

I got my new switch hooked up and am transfering files between comps now.. I beleive this switch was worth the 45.. Thanks guys.

Yeop. I don't have anyone to game with yet so unsure about that but i've done a lot of file transfer between the laptop and my comp. It seems to work fine but it says "limited or no connectivity" but it shows 100mbps. Is this just because there is no internet hooked up? I am on dial up because there is no high speed in the middle of woods i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom