Switch + Access Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
Can you have a switch on your network? And along with that a wireless AP? (access point) Connected into that switch?

Like so:

wirelessap.png

So essentially, a wireless switch. Sort of... :p

we just did this at the company i work for. plugged in a patch cable on ap switchports to the wired switch. turned off dhcp on the ap. clients were then setup with a bridged connection to the rest of the lan.

i'm thinking that the devices did a auto cross on the tx rx wires themselves. training has told me to use crossover cables when connecting switchports like this. however, i guess that newer devices recognize the need and reconfigure themselves.

I'm thinking the new ones would, yes. I was just mad this morning, as I couldn't get the router working no matter what. I think I'll go that route.

Is there any brand you'd recommend?

i've haven't had any major issues using cisco, netgear, or trendnet.

i have had a dlink go bad on me.

when picking a network device, look for the best specs (within budget) first. then, look at the maker and ask yourself, "how easy it it to find info on their website?" "can i call them for support?"

I'm currently looking at this TP-Link.

Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-WA701ND IEEE 802.11b/g/n 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point

This is on a low budget, rather. But price does not really matter, as he will reimburse me. I just don't want to buy something that he isn't really going to use. Just that the better-named AP's are $50+

He only needs the wireless end for when family comes over for a few nights. That they can go online on a different system. He doesn't want to run cables around his house.

I use a D-Link router myself. Used it for nearly 8 months now. My Netgear WNDR3700 died before that, and my Linksys WRT54GL before that. Not bashing them. Everything dies sometimes.

I did look up that TP-Link and found a manual for it. Nice description on the site, too. Also read reviews elsewhere than Newegg. They did say it was hard to configure, but I'm quite sure its just idiots saying so. I actually never called support except for RMA's. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom