Suggestions: Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I've been contacted by a new client whom is looking to get a wireless solution in her 6500 sq'ft home. They currently have a cable broadband from optimium online - with one modem. She would like to have connectivity in 4 places throught the house. The main PC, two laptops and X-BOX / Live in the basement. Keep in my mind that the house is very large.

Can wireless be used?

By the way, the women has "no" budget. She just wants it to work. That's what she said. LOL

Please help?

Wireless can work if she is ok with having a ton of crap all over her house.

You will need a ton of access points and repeaters.
It can be done.. but its not going to be cheap nor pretty.. unless She wants to pay for Multiple drops.

lol, it's impossible to want crap like that done with no budget, and simply 'IT JUST NEEDS TO WORK!

each computer would need a wireless card to access it, but with a house that big, TECHNICALLY a single wireless modem should reach most of it, but you'd need atleast a couple more spread out to keep the signal going strong to all of them.

but ya know, I really don't know all that much about completely setting up a house with wireless connections throughout it....infact the very little experience I've had with wireless was less than impressive so I really can't offer too much help.

Yeah, I didn't tell her I could do it, I told her that i'd get back to her if I found a solution that would work. She has (1) modem, (1) Desktop, (2)Laptops and she's getting her some XBOX live for Christmas.

So she wants 4 components with connectivity all through-out the house. The XBOX is the across the house from the cable modem and in the basement. I don't know.

I was looking at the D-Link Extreme Gamer Router with the Xbox D-link adapter. Then (2) D-Link Notebook adapters... But, i'm not sure if it'll work from long distances. I'm going to have to go to her house and see what it looks like.

She's got no budget because she's rich. She''ll spend whatever it takes. And she just wants it to work.. lol. ok? I'd like to take this side-job cause I can make some cash on it, but i wanna make sure wireless is possible.

So, yeah

like stated earleir you may get a signal from using a single wireless router but given that the house is very large (and on geographical/local/ambient features) might mean performance is very low (if existant at all) so you may find yourself setting up some very fancy equipment all over. Personally on this one I would either use repeaters as stated or I would discuss the possibility of using a wired network. It is quite likely that she insists on wireless but wiring to me seems like a logical option given the task, but ebfore making any judgements I would DEFINATELY go and look at her house, it might be that the walls are paper thin, or that they already have trunking in place for telephone cables and the obvious etc etc

The answer to this one rests on the local features and how much she is willing to pay. It does give me the impression she doesnt really mind what it costs, but remember networking especially labour) is more expensive than some think and she might think differently if you start giving her figures.

I would personalyl push using a wired network unless she honestly doesnt mind the cost in that case I would make this as big a job as possible with the repeaters and earn some $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom