Subnet ip range problem with project

cyberstudent

Beta member
Ok I am doing a project for a class in college. I am setting up a network for a company with 19 locations, and 225,000 employees. Here is what I am figuring and my problem. I am figuring with workstations and voip phones for each employee that's a minimum of 450,000 hosts plus servers, routers, switches, network printers, access points. So I came up with a subnet of 255.248.0.0 a range of 10.0.0.1 - 10.7.255.254 allowing 524,286 available hosts, that's more then enough and works plenty. Heres my problem while doing a network diagram and paper on the setup.

dividing those host up (deciding the ip addresses for the routers at each of the 19 locations). 500,000 / 19 = 26,500 hosts per location. How do I figure out an ip range for each location? like starting at 10.0.0.1 how do I figure out what range I need for around 27k host, and so on and so on 19 times. If your confused don't feel bad I am, that's why I am here.

First off, for a network of that size you might as well just use a 10.0.0.0/8 network. There's no need to reduce the size of the entire corporate network - the individual subnets are where you want to chop it down to manageable blocks. The /13 wouldn't even really be doing anything - remember that the entire point of a subnet mask is to determine which ip addresses are local to each other.

Assuming that all users and devices will be divided equally across the 19 locations and that you want each location to have its own subnet, what block size will be able to accommodate all those addresses at each location? I would start there.

Back
Top Bottom