Stupid TWC Modem

Yevrag35

Pushing Daisies on Saturn
Ok, about a month ago, I uped my home's internet speed. They gave me a new modem to install and all was glorious.

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U wireless router already and everything is working fine, but one thing I noticed last night is that this modem is actually a router/modem. This was discovered when I tried to put one of my computers in a DMZ zone so it could have unrestricted access to the internet without being routed through the NAT (the ASUS router allows one computer to share its WAN IP).

After creating the DMZ zone for the computer, the computer was still being recognized as still behind a NAT.

Long story short, I noticed that the ASUS router thought the WAN IP for my house was 192.168.0.2 (i'm like that's not right). Looked at the modem configuration and sure enough, the modem has the entire router behind a second NAT.

I tried switching the option to instead try to route without NAT enabled, but that just shut down my internet.

* My question is how can I setup my home network to work behind only ONE nat, so that my ASUS router handles the DHCP, NAT, DMZ, port forwarding, etc.?*

Info:
Modem: Arris Touchstone DG680A (lan ip=192.168.0.1; subnet=255.255.255.0; wan ip=65.18.X.X)
Router: ASUS RT-AC66U (lan ip=192.168.1.1; subnet 255.255.255.0; wan ip=192.168.0.2)

I'm kind of at a loss.

You can't. This is the exact problem I was explaining to TWC and supposedly they don't make the standalone modem anymore. You will need to go buy another modem. I suggest the 6141 Surfboard with 8 downstreams.

The way I have mine is I went into the 2in1 and set DMZ to the port my router was on and DMZ to the device that needs no NAT. It appears to have "worked" for Halo Reach.

You can't. This is the exact problem I was explaining to TWC and supposedly they don't make the standalone modem anymore. You will need to go buy another modem. I suggest the 6141 Surfboard with 8 downstreams.

The way I have mine is I went into the 2in1 and set DMZ to the port my router was on and DMZ to the device that needs no NAT. It appears to have "worked" for Halo Reach.
Un-flipping-believable!
So you're telling me that this whole time any ports that I forwarded on the ASUS router for, let's say xbox, steam, utorrent, have not been working?

people in the UK bumped into a similar issue with virgin media, when they release an router/modem combo
but after a number of complaints they revised the firmware and you can use the device in "modem only" mode and connect your own router, which resolved a lot of problems for people

I figured out there was a setting on the modem to bridge the NAT.
Now my router is showing a different non-private IP for the WAN, and has full control of port forwarding and such.

Care to say where you found such a setting? I haven't seen anything like that and as such just bridge the WAN and LAN on my Linksys so all port forwarding is done through the modem.

Sorry, that probably would've been helpful.

This was the only picture that I found of the modem web-interface online (I'm at work so if you want I can screenshot EXACTLY where the setting is later).

The NAT setting is the under the boxed in tab that says "WAN Setup", and it's (if I remember) the second option from the bottom. There's a drop-down menu that is defaulted at "RoutedwithNAT", and you have to select the "Bridged" option. Oh, and under the "Firewall" tab, make sure you uncheck "enable firewall".

Like I said, it changed my home network's WAN IP address from 65.18.XX.XX to 107.8.185.XX, probably because the WAN's DHCP is still enabled and configured to an automatic ip address assignment.

But other than that, seems to be working like a charm. I like my ASUS router's web-interface WAY more than the modem's.

Last edited:

Which is odd, because I have had twc high speed for about, 4-5 months, they gave me a standalone modem

Which is odd, because I have had twc high speed for about, 4-5 months, they gave me a standalone modem
I think it something to do with what speed you order from them. I had 20 mbps down and 1 mbps up, but had a standalone modem. Once I moved to 50mbps down and 5mbps up, they said I had to have a different modem that works in CONJUNCTION with the other modem. The Arris modem that I have only runs the internet portion and the other older modem runs the cable tv porition.

Probably also having to do something with it being DOCSIS 3.0 capable as well.

I think it something to do with what speed you order from them. I had 20 mbps down and 1 mbps up, but had a standalone modem. Once I moved to 50mbps down and 5mbps up, they said I had to have a different modem that works in CONJUNCTION with the other modem. The Arris modem that I have only runs the internet portion and the other older modem runs the cable tv porition.

Probably also having to do something with it being DOCSIS 3.0 capable as well.

That's a good point. My buddy has 30 meg net, and of course requires DOCSIS 3.0, and has a crapy ubee cable modem/router combo. His Internet hardly works, if you so much as look at the cable line or gets scared and dies lol

Back
Top Bottom