Stupid Comp. to Comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverseiskweled

Solid State Member
SO, I am trying to transfer files from my old dell to my new dell (XPS and proud of it) and I ma having troubles.

When I am setting up my connections, I get to the Device for the transfer screen, I have no idea what to choose.

I am using a belkin CAT5e Crossover Patch Cable, and am just wondering what I should do....

Thank yo uin advance.

Basically, once the computers are connected, you will need to setup an IP address and subnet mask on each computer in a way that will allow them to talk to each other. Once this is done, make sure that the Windows XP firewall is turned off and that you have file/print sharing enabled on both computers.

I have no idea how to do this, but I can say this much.

I do have the cable, and I have both computers sitting right next to each other. There is only one network slot on each computer, so I know that I have the chord in the right sspot.

I have no idea what to do from hear, so as you can see, I am a "virgin techie" for a reason.

I am transferring basically everything from one computer to this new one, so I really don't want to e-mail or use a USB stick.

well, to tell you the truth, I dont really know how to hook two computers together directly either. it is much easier, i think, to just buy a router and hook both of your comps to that. it involves much less setup, i think.

If you want to do it with a network cable, you will have to enable filesharing on the PC's. I THINK that Windows will assign them 2 different addresses in the 169.x.x.x range, so you won't have to worry about the IP addresses (not POSITIVE though). If nothing else you could set Computer A to be 10.1.1.1 and Computer B to be 10.1.1.2 (doesn't have to be 10 network, but whatever.) you can get to the IP address screen by going to the properties window of your network adaptor. Then click on the TCP/IP line, and click properties again. You will get a new window where you can selet 'obtain IP address automatically' or 'specify IP'....

ANYWAYS... By far the FASTEST way to transfer files is to take the OLD hard drive, and put it in the NEW PC. If you aren't going to use the old PC, just leave it in there... if you ARE going to use the OLD PC still, just copy the files off of it, and put the Hard Drive back.

Well, the way I intended to do this is just to have a file shared folder on the network, and then just drag in one one PC, and drag out on another. I know I can just connect the computers by using the CAT5e cable and putting in the network slot inputs on each one, I just don't know how to set up the network to sharte the files.

I will note one new piece of info. I have both computers hooked into the same exact Linksys router, but I have no idea how to share the files through it. Could someone please tell me from the very beginng of the process, how to transfer files with two computers hooked up to the same router?

If you have them both hooked up to the router, and BOTH are able to access the internet, then just leave them as they are. The only changes you will have to make are in windows. (I don't often do it this way, I just pull drives, and put them in the destination PC and copy that way... so I might not be 100% correct)

1. Maker sure the computers are in the same work group (can't remember off the top of my head where to change that...)
2. Create sharing permission on each PC

I think that is about it.

ok, this i do know how to do, assuming you have xp on both comps.

1) make a folder somewhere on your hard drive and call it "shared folder" or something descriptive.
2) right click on the folder and go to properties
3) click on the sharing tab
4) click share this folder
5) click ok
6)find out your ip address by going to start > control panel > network connections. double click on the connection you use(probably local area connection). click the support tab, and it should tell you your ip address. write this down.
7) now, on the other computer, go to My Computer
8) click tools and then Map network drive
9) under drive: choose a letter that you like
10) under folder type "\\'ip address from step 6'\'name of folder from step 1'"
11) click finish and you should be good to go!!

the drive should show up under my computer and you should be able to drag and drop files as much as you want!!!

someone let me know if i got anything wrong and i will edit.

Not sure if anything is wrong, but it may be easier to get IP address as follows:

START > RUN > type 'CMD' > you now have a command prompt...
NOW, type 'IPCONFIG'

Well, I have been trying to follow your steps, but I encounter one major problem.

I do not see "tools" when I openup my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom