stufu networking i hate it........but need it

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcirclepants

In Runtime
got my school laptop today, need to setup my router and copy some files over from my desktop..........i set up the connection and everything, but have limeted or no connection..........................................................................................on either laptop or desktop

laptop has xp pro, desktop has xp home:mad:

so what do i try first............:confused:

oh dear the old XP Home vs XP Pro Networking Conflict again...

and the error u are experiencing is probably an ill assigned IP adress, you are running through a router? that should have a DHCP server built into it,

on both pc's click start run cmd

when the command prompt opens type: ipconfig /release (press enter)

then when the command has finished type ipconfig /renew (press enter)

once the command has finished type iponfig /all (press enter)

does it say you have an ip adress now, if you are unsure take a print screen of the command prompt and I will tell you!

limited or no connection is sometimes just an internet connection problem and you can work around it for file sharing by just going to run and typing \\"computer name" and it mite let you in. you can do what chrisds said, but you dont need an ip address to share files so you may not need to take that step. also make sure you set the folders has shared taht you want to get into and that you have permissions to it. did you go into network places, make sure both computer are in the same network group, such as "mshome" or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom