Strong interference of overlapping wifis: What to do?

Lamasshu

Beta member
Hello dear experts,

I have experienced some troubles with my wifi, and by searching old threads in this forum I learned that the most likely explanation for the problem is interference from overlapping networks. Let me provide you with the necessary background:

My router provides two adjacent rooms with a wifi, i.e. the room with the router, and a second one. The second room is separated from the wifi by a wall, and in this room, the reception is sometimes quite bad. The distance between router and receiving computer is only about 3 to 4 meters (10 to 14ft) though, and the signal strength varies a lot despite the router and the receiving computer being stationay (ruling out that it is the wall or distance itself that makes problems).

A scan with the software inSSIDer reveals that there are many other networks around (I live in a student dorm). According to the recommendation of inSSIDer, I switched to channels 11 and 7 but without big improvements. There are still 25 to 30 overlapping networks, some of which have quite a strong signal.

The router is quite new (Belkin Wireless N 150), and as I said, it only has to cover about 3 or 4 meters which should actually not pose a problem for the hardware. Furthermore, only two laptops, one mobile, and sometimes but rarely a tablet and a kindle are connected to the wifi. In my layman's mind, the only possible explanation for the low signal strength in the second room is interference from overlapping networks. Having said that, if there are other explanations, please feel free to point them out.

My question is now: how can I deal with the interference so that I can provide my second room with a stable internet connection? It would seem rather odd to buy a wifi extender given that my router only has to cover about 3 meters! Would MAC filtering be an option? Are there any options / settings that I could tweak? Any help / advise is highly appreciated!

You can't really block out other interference in a practical manner other than go to each dorm and ask them to lower their signal strengths and change the broadcasting channels.

You should not have a weak signal strength at 14feet! Login to your Belkin Wireless N 150 router and look for settings related to signal strength and turn them up. Also look at the back of the router and make sure the antenna is screwed in properly.

Your signal strength shouldn't vary. If the signal strength does vary you may have hardware issues. Which can be addressed by someone here.

MAC Filtering wont filter out the interference. Imagine being at a party with tons of people talking loudly. If you are trying to talk to someone it is really hard to hear them with all the interference. The same thing happens when you have interference with your wifi signal. It's really hard for your computer and router to separate the wifi signal from the other wifi signals if they are all broadcasting on the same frequency.

Welcome!!!

Is there no other channel you can use that has no one on it??

I know it can slow stuff down majorly (1 drawback of wireless) -- Im sorry your having this issue and i hope you can get a resolution soon!!

Good luck my friend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In some areas it can be hard if there are MANY on each!! (Wireles isnt really very good for the most part)

It's really hard for your computer and router to separate the wifi signal from the other wifi signals if they are all broadcasting on the same frequency.

I would look to change frequencies first if I could. then look to buy better hardware to handle the unwanted noise.

Back
Top Bottom