stretching a cable internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
couple things I noticed here ,
1 you said you your modem is aSb4220 SURFboard
with USB and eithernet Port on it.
The cheapest way to set up your other computer is just out out and buy another Long Network cable , cat5 , cat 5e or cat 6

here is a tidbit from Motarola's site

Q: I have more than one computer. Do I need more than one Motorola SURFboard computer modem?

A: No, if your computers are connected via a network, one Motorola cable modem will support up to 32 computers. Since each computer must have its own unique IP address - which you can order through your cable provider or ISP - expect to pay a little extra each month for each additional computer you tie in.

Another tidbit , that you were misinformed on. Cat 5E does not support "Gigbit" as it can't handle the extra Mhz the data needs to passthrough.

here is a website that may help you .
while in your case I don't think it makes a big differance in what you go with . You could even go with cat 5 if you can find it cheaper then anything else.

so for your set up all you will need is 1 extra cat 5 cable to connect to the other computer.

notice you may get charge a small fee for getting a 2nd Ip this fee is normally cheap.. Also you can alway call your ISP (cable company and ask how much it will cost you first) some times the 2nd IP is free(as my ISP is)

I hope this makes it easier for you.

if the guy above would have looked at the modem first and noticed it's a new DOCSIS he would have saw right away that it support 31-32 computers on the one modem without extra hardware.

Chimera

Chimera, I am not sure if you were refering to me as 'the guy above' or not, but it seems that you don't fully understand the hardware.....

DOCSIS doesn't have anything to do with supporting 31-32 computers... In fact, DOCSIS has NOTHING to do with the equipment behind the modem.... (ex: Router, switch, PC's, game consoles, etc. etc.). DOCSIS has to do with standards for high speed data transfer between the Cable modem, and the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the cable company site. (got this from the less than 5 minutes of research I did on DOCSIS... If I am incorrect, then I appologize.)

Second thing, is that this is a MODEM, not a router. therefore, either this person will have to get a router, or some other piece of equipment to do NAT behind the modem, or PAY (MONTHLY) for additional IP addresses for PC's behind the modem.

Furthermore, on the back of this modem, there are 3 connecters.... 1 Coax, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11. In order to support 32 users, either the user will have to get a hub, switch, or router in order to run the cables to the various PC's, or the person will have a literal nightmare when it comes to cabling.

BOTTOM LINE: the most practicle thing to do would be to get a router, and place it between the modem & the PC's.

nigy said:
OK, so like this:

cable1 to modem.
cable 2 from modem to computer1
cable 3 from modem to router
cable 4 from router to computer 2

ok, what cable type is best for cable 4 above?

That is wrong .....

You have to do this

Cable 1 to Modem
Modem Cable to Router in the Net Socket
and then Cable 2 to Computer
and then Cable 4 to Computer

and it should work well thats how mine is

chimera said:
couple things I noticed here ,
1 you said you your modem is aSb4220 SURFboard
with USB and eithernet Port on it.
The cheapest way to set up your other computer is just out out and buy another Long Network cable , cat5 , cat 5e or cat 6

here is a tidbit from Motarola's site

Q: I have more than one computer. Do I need more than one Motorola SURFboard computer modem?

A: No, if your computers are connected via a network, one Motorola cable modem will support up to 32 computers. Since each computer must have its own unique IP address - which you can order through your cable provider or ISP - expect to pay a little extra each month for each additional computer you tie in.
Actually ive got a Surfboard Modem and i need a router for net and it dont cost me any extra...and 1 surfboard modem can support upto 2 pcs ..via EtherNet or USB and the router wll assign you a IP for each pc

all fine and dandy guys , but I don't belive that you were giving the person all options . rather then buying a router switch or hub at this time I just felt that he did not need to go out and spend extra money when he can indeed connect 1 more computer to the modem he has , .
the manual says you can connect 1 computer via usb and the other via Cat5.

Please tell me how he is going to connect 32 PC's to 1 ethernet port without any other equipment... I suppose all of the cables could be spliced together in a home-made HUB, but that would be a POS, and would likely cause MAJOR issues throughout his network....

PLUS, your suggestion would also spending more money to have an extra IP address added to the account.... which would be extra money EVERY MONTH.... When you buy a router and ethernet cables, you can have MANY PC's behind the router without any need to purchase a second IP address from the IP.

OK. I dont know how much I'd pay each month, but the router I am planning to get for this is cheap, 20 bucks, and should do the job.

right now, the only port open on my modem is USB, so it seems I need extra equipment to add another computer, for lack of a port for a cat5/6 cable.

I will call my ISP sometime before i buy anything and ask them if I will be charged for another IP.

Don't even bother calling your ISP.. The only way you will get charged for a second IP address is if you order one. If you have a router, and 2 PC's behind the router, they don't know, and don't care.... you could have 50 PC's behind a router, and all the ISP would care is that they give you 1 IP address, and you do what you want in your private network.

When you set up the router, plug the router WAN port into the cable modem ethernet port... Then plug the cables for the PC in one of the vacant ports in the router.

Second thing, is that this is a MODEM, not a router. therefore, either this person will have to get a router, or some other piece of equipment to do NAT behind the modem, or PAY (MONTHLY) for additional IP addresses for PC's behind the modem.

Furthermore, on the back of this modem, there are 3 connecters.... 1 Coax, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11. In order to support 32 users, either the user will have to get a hub, switch, or router in order to run the cables to the various PC's, or the person will have a literal nightmare when it comes to cabling.

BOTTOM LINE: the most practicle thing to do would be to get a router, and place it between the modem & the PC's. [/B]

Ok I know what docsis , it's the standard now. so you are right there ,.
But this modem thing is really bugging me unless the Sb4220 SURFboard modem you are refering to is different then the one's used for cable company's
Motarola's site clearly states that the connections on the back are as follows from top to bottom.

1)10/100base T (RJ45)
2)USB
3)reset
4)cable connection (RG6)
5)Power

Now it's not the best way to setup , but clearly you can hook this modem to the closest computer Via USB and the computer 50' away via RJ45.
You would only need extra hardware for any more then 2 computers this is all I was trying to get to . If you want extra protection then my all means get a router set it right and you will be set.
Ethereal_Dragon
tell me why the modem you are refering to has RG11 on , a phone cable has no right to be on the back of my cable modem.

if there are any people still doughting that this can be done please refer to motarola's site search for Sb4220 SURFboard
or refer to the manual listed here manual

as I said most ISP don't charge for your 2nd IP but I wanted him to make sure first.
Free 2nd
$10.00 for 50" of cat5 RJ45
Spare USB cable from the modem Box
still cheaper then buying a router and 2 cables

,money is all I was trying to save you here.

non the less nigy , which you choose to go , i'm sure you will be happy with it.

DOCSIS Stands for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification
and when I refered to the new docsis modem's which are more advanced in more ways then one . is in the USB and Ethernet connections at the same time.,
the ones to be released will have built it wireless connections so a person could connect even easier.

good luck with your choice nigy

chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom