Streaming media from the net causes router to disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Bones

Baseband Member
All right, so I bought this Linksys wireless-B BEFW11S4 router a couple of months back. It's my first router--I never had need of one previously. And in fact, I'm not even connecting to it wirelessly--only a family member's laptop does. It's given me a little trouble, but nothing great enough to warrant seeking a solution. Until now.

When trying to stream audio samples from allmusic.com, or video from MLB.tv, my connection has a tendency to crash! My modem is fine; still connected. It's the router that goes bad. And the only way to fix it is to unplug it (from the outlet), and plug it back in. And then I can connect to the internet as usual.

If this only happened every now and again, it wouldn't be so bad. But it happens almost every time I attempt to stream media from certain sites. Oddly, it never gives me any trouble at other sites. It happens to me on both of my computers, and I've tried using different media players to steam the data, as well.

What could possibly be causing this? It's driving me crazy. And I have updated my firmware to Linksys's latest. You help is appreciated.

Just to be sure is the router or not, trying going to those streaming sites with out router and thats a direct connect. If it works then is the router, check whats blocking those audio ports you are streaming if there is any. Also try to restore all default settings in the router if you can. Did it happen when you bought the router or just recently?

What is the version of that Linksys router (2.0, 3.0, 3.2, 4.0)? And what is the current firmware version on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom