Strange network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekmiotek

Beta member
Hi all, my friend is having this strange network issue, and Ive run out of ideas to try and help him. Heres his deal....

Its a home network setup. A webserver running Gentoo Linux and Apache. The sites address is gaijin.ath.cx.

The problem:
When hes internal on his network on a windows xp machine that is fully functional otherwise, he cant browse to his own website using either the gaijin.ath.cx address, or the ip that that address resolves to, 24.163.109.67. He can browse to it using the internal ip of the linux box, 192.168.0.11. You can get to the site externally using either the IP or the fqdn.
He can successfully ping the 24.163.109.67 address from the xp machine.

The xp box's ip is 192.168.0.10. Both machines have static IPs.
Hes using his isp's dns servers, 24.25.5.150 and 24.25.5.149.

My friend thinks maybe its dns related, but Im thinking maybe not because of the fact that he cant get to the site internally using the ip address, which should not use any dns servers, is that line of thinking correct?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
-MK

if he adds this line in his host file on the xp machine i think it will work.

192.168.0.11 gaijin.ath.cx

this will resolve gaijin.ath.cx to the internal ip and should work.

What is he using for a gateway?

Does he have the means to segregate the webserver to its own subnet?

I've got a setup at home with 2 subnets [1 for "normal" pc's and the other for my servers]

And I've got a gateway/router/whatever running pfSense. [3 NICs. WAN, LAN(servers), LAN2(pc's)]

Anyway, pfSense takes care of the DNS/routing issues. I can access my webserver on the other subnet using the URL or WAN IP address.

hmm

The gateway is a Netgear NAT router.
Ill have him try What you suggested King X13, but i still want to know why its not working in its current setup.

I have just about the same setup at my house, only my router is a Linksys, and it works just fine for me. No hosts file on my xp box either.

I may try and set my home network up like you suggested mBernhardt, thanks.

-MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom