Strange Network occurance, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elsuron

Beta member
My poroblem:

My computer will not communicate with my roommate's computer and visa-versa. However, My computer does not have any problems communicating with others and his has no problem with communicating with others. And another strange thing is we CAN see each others games but our problem lies in where we cannot see each other in "My Network Places> View Workgroup Computers"

I hope that you can understand what I just wrote. Please help.

easy fix hopefully. i had the same problem. The reason is genearlly that NetBIOS is generally not installed on one of the computers. Heres what to do: Go to your network connections in the control panel, and right click on the one that you connect to the internet with. Choose properties. a window will appear. IN the general Tab, click Install. Then choose protocol. Click on the one that has NetBios somewhere in the name and install it. do this to each computer and it should fix your problem.
Cheers

don't know if you got it solved or not, but if you're both using two different versions of XP, say like Home & Professional... they can't see each other in a workgroup setting.

KnivesOut said:
don't know if you got it solved or not, but if you're both using two different versions of XP, say like Home & Professional... they can't see each other in a workgroup setting.

:amazed:
Where do people get this type of information. I would really like to know.

Thank you all, we have figured out the answer to the problem,
It was simple actually. My roommate didn't have a IPX setup on his computer. It is very strange that was the reason since he could see EVERYONE except me (and I couldn't see him). Oh well, Mystery solved. Thank you for your time.

KnivesOut said:
XP Home cannot join domains.

Right out of the box, correct. However, once Microsoft goes down that very familiar road of theirs to attempt to force people to spend more money...it will only be a matter of time before free software is available (and legal) to use in parallel. One of the many features of X-Setup Pro allows XP Home to join a domain.

KnivesOut said:

Sorry that is incorrect XP Home and XP pro can indeed see eachother in a workgroup setting. If they couldn't than that would be another reason why Microsoft sucks. (Sorry if I offended anyone other than Microsoft by saying that, I'm not here for flaming. So don't respond to that.)

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom