Stopping a dynamic IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shando

In Runtime
My ISP gives me a dynamic IP address, but I want to turn my pc into a web server. Is there any way I can get my IP to stop changing? Thanks

~Shando

your isp may be able u a option to change your ip to a static one, or u can use a dynamic dns . noip.com offer this option, it upates your ip information automatically.

Note that if you contact your ISP to get a static IP address, make SURE to ask them if it is going to increase the cost of your service. Generally, packages with static IP's cost more than those with dynamic IP's, unless cost isn't a factor.

be forewarned that most ISPs prohibit their clients from running servers on home connections (i'm assuming your on a home connection), some even forcefully block the web server ports, there are of course ways to defeat such protections but you may break the ISPs terms of usage and invalidate your contract. Read your ISPs terms of service before proceeding.

Yes, i have seen this as well. You are probably able to get a static ip from your isp, but they will most likely block some of the ports needed to run a server, or they will sometimes restrict your upload speeds.

I was able to get a wireless 700mhz connection from a local telco near where i live. Its nothing spectacular, but i have a 1meg down, 1 meg up dedicated connection. They dont block any ports, ever. $49.99 a month...

If you can find something like that, which is out there, if you look for the small telco's or tech offices, youd be on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom