stopping downloading protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
hi i have a linksys wrt54g router and i want to stop a computer from download or all of them from downloading but still be able to browse the internet. what protcols do i block i have a list if u need it. They dont understand the idea of a limited amount of bandwith.

Downloading protocols would be FTP and TFTP.That would block most of it unless the site choses to use HTTP download.

6346 is the default port for in/out on limewire. however these ports are able to be changed through the application

you can block the program from running by

Open your registry and find the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion \Policies\Explorer]

Create a new DWORD value and name it "DisallowRun" set the value to "1" to enable application restrictions or "0" to allow all applications to run.

Then create a new sub-key called [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun] and define the applications the are to be restricted. Creating a new string value for each application, named as consecutive numbers, and setting the value to the filename to be restriced (e.g. "regedit.exe").

Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

from http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/969/

well i wanna block it so another computer cant download from it. And the only way to stop the kid is to stop it all together and i cant do it form his computer i want ot do it throught the router. but if i cant i will have to do it from his pc.

I'd block the app at the pc because the kid can reconfigure the app to use a different port. To block this at the router, you would block the port it is using to connect.

Yes, you can't do this from the router, you'd have to restrict his internet access.

Well can i make so i can just serf the web threw my router or can i limit the amount of bandwith because if i block limewire he will go and download some other stupid client
so can i stop downloading all together??

you might want to restrict his access to install applications then, make him use a standrard user account then giving him Administrator rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom