Static Ip in Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hefe posted a good suggestion a little back, your router should have a map-ip-to-mac-address function (I know both of mine do). Just set your pc to get an ip via dhcp, then log onto the router and check the list of dhcp clients it has (should only be one, your pc).

note the mac-address, then configure a 'static map' on your router. All that is is telling the router "if a pc with this mac address (enter pc mac addr here) connects then give it this ip"

Ok, in Status>Local network you'll be able to get a list of the DHCP clients the router has, your pc should be the only thing listed there.

hmmm...I can't find the static map config area...man that sucks...
Oh well, here's what you need to do then.
1. Connect the pc using DHCP, write down the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns server(s) you're asssigned.
2. Change the connection to a static IP and enter in all the above information.
3. Go to your router, to the DHCP configuration area.

You'll probably have been given the first IP in the dhcp pool, so exclude that address from the router. (e.g. if DHCP is setup on your router to assign client PCs addresses from 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.252, and your PC has the address 10.0.0.100, then chage the router to only assign addresses from 10.0.0.101 to 10.0.0.252)

Your router has two port forwarding options. The easiest one I think was called DMZ, which basically opens all ports to a specific IP. Just enter the IP of your pc. If that works you can try using Port Fowarding and just open specific ports, but for now go with the easy option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom