Static Ip in Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I knew your network setup it'd help. PC>Router>Modem?

All you should be doing with the static IP is telling your PC what its default gateway is (e.g. how it gets out of the network, will be your router's IP) and the DNS server (will also be your router's IP UNLESS you're in a more complicated network which has a dedicated dns server, but I doubt it.)

It goes PC>Switch>Router>Modem I had it set up on the belkin wireless but the new Linksys is a bit more difficult.

Meh, no difference then. DNS and Default Gateway are your router, static IP should be the IP you'd normally be assigned via DHCP, or at least one in the same subnet.

I could easily tell you how to do it lol, but I'm more of a visual person and not being able to use my desktop with Win7 on it makes it harder to give directions :(

Well... When I open Cmd and tpye "ipconfig/all" and then insert the two DNS server names in the boxes in my network properties it says they are the wrong ones. That is why I am even asking... WTF is going on?

Do not worry about putting in any dns server information (assuming you are not running a domain server on your network it will be the dns servers of your isp and will have some ip not associated with your home network) on the computer. One of the easiest ways is to have your router assign an ip based upon mac address. Then set the computer to auto assign ip and the router will give it the same one each time. Most routers will have this capability.

Other way is when you do ipconfig /all look up the default gateway which will be your router. It will be something like 192.268.0.1 then assign an ip to the computer in that range ie 192.168.0.100 subnet 255.255.255.0. If you want to enter the default gateway go ahead but it is not necessary. Do not change anything else.

Warning - The defualt gateway is not ont he same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the IP adress and subnet mask. Do you want to save this configuration?Warning - The defualt gateway is not ont he same network segment (subnet) that is defined by the IP adress and subnet mask. Do you want to save this configuration?

That is what I get when setting up a static IP... Do I just not put the Default gateway in?

^Is that with no Default Gateway set? I disagree with Hefe :))), where possible ALWAYS set the default gateway.

Quick question. Why do you need a static IP anyway?

I want one so I can port forward and make games faster online. Do you want me to post the info?? It says my default gateway is wrong? but how could CMD give me a wrong DG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom