static IP vs dynamic IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
What is the benefit of using a static IP over dynamic IP

some one told me that a VoIP box can only use a static IP, why is that? i thought that since the router is the go between in any case, hence the MAC address for the final destination would be determined in any case static IP or dynamic IP. or is it an issue of lag/jitter?

I know windows98 takes 2 times as long to boot if dynamic IP is used and no DHCP server is found.

I'd say dynamic IP us safer because it changes.
Static is easier if you are running a webserver, you don't need to use DNS updaters when using a domain.

having a network of static ips is a lot harder to maintain. Mainly because you'll have to keep it documented and up to date. The alternative being setup dhcp to configure your machines for you. Then, you could still run into problems where the server's connection is lost or the server goes down.

I would think VoIP has static ips because they want you to have one unquie identifier for your device. It your phone number. Your land line doesn't change constantly, right?

The reason that VOIP needs a static assignment is due to the fact that if it changes, so does an entry in a table somewhere. Assigning a static IP to something is so that it's always the same. No change. You use static assignments on servers in domains, so they are always the same. It's to keep them "static". Dynamic IP's work good for most everything else. Unless you have a need, i.e. server, special purpose machine, Dynamic will work for you.

EDIT- damn... beat me to it! :)

Static IPs are tons more expensive than dynamic ones. When I was on my wireless service, I was paying $84.99 for 256k downstream, but I believe the outrageous price for such low bandwidth was because I had a static IP. That ISP didn't offer dynamic IPs though.

actually, beedubaya, they were probably assigning the IP to a MAC to prevent free use of thier service. It's common in Wireless ISPs to use Static assignments like that.

My Cable is assigned to a MAC adress.
I cloned the a PC's MAC to my router.
My ISP does not allow multiple PC's.
My router connects to my ISP using DHCP.
MY IP is static, though. It never changes.

$40/month
Cable 1024K

you guys mean to say that an ADSL connection with a static connection should cost more than an ADSL connection with a dynamic connection?

and then again it might be operator dependent?

i just wanted to check my understanding of the use of MAC addresses and IP addresses.

in a datagram, the MAC address works as a next of address and the IP address works as the final address. when a outer receives an ip datagram, it checkes the IP address, finds the next router's IP address from its routing table, finds ther corresponding MAC address from the ARP table/cache(are they the same?) and then appends the destination address as the MAC address, leavin the IP address as it was. is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom