Static IP from router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac936

Baseband Member
My router runs DHCP, NAT I guess. I was wondering if I can make it so one particular machine always get the same IP address when the lease expires. Like a reserve or maybe static IP. I want to do this so I can fill in the "only allow this IP to configure the router" to harden security. I am aware of IP spoofing so what do you think of this security measure. Would I be hardening one area by weakening another by doing this?

This would harden security and this is what I recomend .

What router is this and what type of enviroment is it being used in, security like this is overly anal for a home network.

Its for a home network and its a belkin wireless. I couldnt give you the model number because I am not home right now. Yes this might be overkill but I may need to do this in the industry one day so its always good to know extra.

In my belkin the only way to achieve this is to go to 'DHCP Client List' and set the lease time to Forever. Then go to 'LAN Settings' and change the IP Pool Start and end addresses so that they only allocate the number of IP addresses that you have on your network. There is also a 'MAC Address Filterinig' page - once all of your computers have connected to the network select them from the drop down and add them to the list. Then enable the filtering. This now means that only the clients listed in that list will be able to use your network and each time you connect you will be given the same IP address.

Or, you could set a STATIC IP address on the computer that you plan on using to ADMIN the router. Just make sure that you assign the computer an IP address in the same subnet. I am not sure if it matters if the IP address is in the DHCP pool or not... Just to be safe, I would give it an address NOT in the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom