Static IP or Dynamic IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Ok i'm not sure if this post goes in this forum or not... but it does have to do with networking so here goes.

I'm going to build a network soon in my home consisting of 4 pc's. One of these computers will be set up as a webserver where i plan to host my personal website along with a few other websites as well. Other than the webserver, i'm planning to setup an email server, ftp server and chat (irc) server. I'm reading a lot about the different configuration options i have with the routers, firewalls, etc., and i'm looking into what kind of connection i want. Currently DSL and CABLE are both available where i live. Here's my question for now...

Which would be best for my situation? Static IP addressing, or Dynamic IP addressing? What are the differences between both? I haven't seen any plain english explanations of the differences yet, so hopefully i'll get it here. I know static ip's use a constant number, where as dynamic ip's change. Which is more appropriate for what i'm planning to do?

An IP (Internet Protocol) address identifies a system on the Internet for the purposes of sending or receiving data. Think of them like telephone numbers. Dynamic IP addressing means that you get a new number each time your computer accesses the Internet. Static IP addressing never changes, your system has the same address all the time. Dynamic addressing works and is acceptable for people who have no need to ever use their system for more than web browsing and email, but static addresses are better. With a static address your system can host a Web site, FTP or e-mail server, in fact do anything that requires an identifiable IP address.

taken from http://www.al8.com/services9b.htm ......... this is for dsl. i have dsl at my house and my dad has cable at his workplace. i don't really see a huge amount of difference between the 2.

try DNS2GO for your server at your house. www.deerfield.com
That will provide you with a "static name" for your "dynamic ip address."

that might help you a little...just a little heads up...thats all :)

use dynamic Ip, much cheaper. with dynamic IP's you would use a service to map your IP to a static address:

dynamic/ static IP's
WAN IP address with DSL/ cable internet are usually dynamic not static and will not remain the same all the time which means you must use a DNS updater. that is a program that you install on the client machines that monitors and sends the client's current IP address whenever it changes.

the updater program checks its IP address constantly from a certain place and if a change is detected it reports that change to the DNS service. the DNS service and the updater program is Free unless you want to use a paid service.

dyndns.org is a free DNS service. at the website go to the help section and it has a link page to free and non-free DNS updater programs. the best free updater is called Dynamic_DNS_5.

if you have static IP's a the client machine than all you need to do is specify the static IP address.

example if you have static ip you specify in : 8.2.51.38

if dynamic and using a DNS service you enter: selene.dyndns.org

but than how will other people find you? it would be a lot of work trying to email people your new IP adress ever time it changes. the hax0r would have already accomplish his task by than. dynamic IP can last up to several months.

So in theory it is a security question. :p Assume the haxor got into ur puter and didn't get his job finnished before you switched off your machine. Next time you fire it up again u'll have a different ip and haxor can't find you. My friend's dynamic ip got 3 different ips which keep rotating every time he connects to the internet.

you should do a dynamic ip and assign a dns so that u dont have to remember the ip but the address which will automatically check for an updated ip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom