Speedtouch 576 slow and unresponsive GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimstone

Beta member
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I had trouble deciding whether it was a hardware or software problem. Sorry also if it has already been answered. I searched these forums as best I could along with many others and have still not found an answer.

As the title suggests, this is regarding my Speedtouch 576 wireless router. I'm having problems with the GUI becoming very slow and sometimes completely unresponsive. This is mainly in conjunction with forwarding ports as that is pretty much the only reason I access my GUI. Firstly some of the pages will take longer than usual to load. When I'm attempting to enter ports to forward and click OK, the page will take an age to load. It will then display the next page, however the browser still has the loading bar in the bottom right and the numbers of the ports forwarded for the perticular program are listed repeatedly down an endless page. This means the fields to enter new ports are not on the page. The only thing I can do at this point is close the browser, reopen it and re-enter the router GUI which then loads extremely slow or sometimes not at all. If then I go back to the list I was entering ports into, I will then find the port I previously entered has not been saved and I am left with the list of ports that were already present before I began to add to it.

I cannot recall any installations or updates that this problem began to occur after. It just appeared randomly one day. I haven't always had this problem.

My computer is connected physically to the router, through my ethernet port, which is then physically connected to my phone line. There is another computer connected to the router wirelessly, however I can not access the router GUI from that computer as I have misplaced the username and password for it.

I am using Firefox 2.0, however I have also tried with IE 6 and achieved the same results.

I have also tried disconnecting the router from the phone line, disabling Windows firewall and disabling the routers transparent HTTP proxy, however this does not fix the problem.

I am using firmware version 5.3 and am aware that there is a version 5.4 available. I have been unable to test if this firmware would fix the problem however, as every download location I find referenced across the net is old and the file is not hosted there anymore.

I'm actually trying as I type this to get back into the GUI to find the full version number, but it will not let me in. I'm just getting a 'Problem loading page' error.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am unable to forward any ports at this point and it is becoming very frustrating. Thanks in advance.

It seems like you have exhausted pretty much every solution I can think of except for updating the firmware and replacing the hardware. Also, have you tired disabling some of the firewall features on the router?

Can you plug another computer directly to the router and does it give the same result? I would guess so. I know what it's like, this has happen to people on other brand like Linksys and Belkin also, it's just that the firmware needs an update or the hardware is close to retirement.

Thanks for your help.

The other computer doesn't have an ethernet port and I don't have access to any others, so I can't test it out on another system. I've only had this router for a few months so I hope it isn't ready to be replaced. Will be having words with my ISP if that's the case since they sent me it.

I guess that just leaves me with the firmware. Will have to have another hunt around for it. If anyone has or knows where I can get the 5.4 firmware for this router and can pass that information on to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers again for your help Law. :)

EDIT: Oh I'll try turning off the firewall features too, forgot that bit.

Well turning the firewall off on the router didn't work. Gave the same result and then when I went to go back and turn it back on again the router decided to restart itself. Once it had finished doing that, I went back to the GUI to turn the firewall back on and it had done it itself as if it had never saved the change I made.

Looks like only the firmware is left to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom