Speed not what I pay for

Qsirk

Solid State Member
My ISP (COX) has me under their 300mbps for the internet plan I have with them.

But, when I do a speed test I get around 130-150mbps only. Is there a way to reach the full potential of the speed I pay for?

My router is: Asus AC3100

My Modem is: Motorola SB6121

Ethernet Cable: CAT 7 Cable

My computer is wired to my motherboard which is MSI CARBON X99

That modem can't handle 300Mbps, it caps out at just above what you are seeing in a perfect world.

You need at minimum an Arris SB6141, which in an ideal world, if you have all 8 channels available and they aren't flooded with other users, would be just enough to cover your service plan speeds...

So yeah, you are getting what you paid for I suppose if you chose the SB6121.

Wouldn't the ISP advertise speeds in bits, rather than bytes?

300 mbps = ~37.5 Mbps so the Motorola should be ok right?

That modem can't handle 300Mbps, it caps out at just above what you are seeing in a perfect world.

You need at minimum an Arris SB6141, which in an ideal world, if you have all 8 channels available and they aren't flooded with other users, would be just enough to cover your service plan speeds...

So yeah, you are getting what you paid for I suppose if you chose the SB6121.

What c0rr0sive said is your limiting factor is true. The ISP may have a max of 300, but your modem will only be able to hit half.

iParanormalx, the values are the same type or rating Mbps or mbps is megabits per second. Megabyte per second would be MBps.

So, if the modem can only reach a max speed of 172 Mbps then the OP is limited to 172 or less due to the modem.

Last edited:
Generally when an ISP advertises speeds, it's in Mbps... However, most people will go mbps, and I will think it's Mbps (yay for dealing with online customers?) as that is typically what they mean. However, the moment the p gets dropped, it becomes something entirely different...

Mbps = Megabits Per Second
mbps = Megabits Per Second
MB/s = Megabytes Per Second
mb/s = Megabytes Per Second

While that is actually incorrect, the sad truth is, to most people seeking help in other forums that have limited or no technical background, that would be the closest to accurate.

Just have to kinda wing it and try to figure out what they are really saying.

What's real fun is when someone starts throwing gigagobbits around... That's a story for another time. -.-

I just saw that the modem had a 10/100/1000 ethernet. Wonder why they'd put a gig ethernet chipset on a modem that couldn't support that throughput?

The specs list 172 Mbps so I was kinda thinking that was download speed in bytes because that's a little faster than a gigabit. 1000 / 8 is little slower than 172 Mbps... Just how I perceived it. I'd be pissed if I bought that modem and It didnt work with my 300mpbs internet.

Last edited:
The speeds are limited to how many channels in each direction the modem has and what version DOCsis. If it supported 172Mb downstream putting a 10/100 port would bottleneck it, next step up is gigabit. I had this same problem when I first went 100Mb when available at my old apartment. My modem only supported 50Mb max and a simple trip to Walmart and I was ready to go.

Anymore it's just cheaper to put a 10/100/1000 controller into a product vs. a 10/100 controller.

Hell, none of my modems will shoot above ~80Mbps, yet, they come with 1Gbit interfaces.

Yea, I don't think a lot of people realize gigabit ethernet is almost 20 years old and that it's stupid cheap to implement everywhere. It's why I whine bitch and complain that we still don't have 10Gb mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom