Specific PC gets no connectivity from specific network jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Weird issue that I haven't been able to wrap my brain around yet....

I recently did some office relocation in our building...moving people to different offices and setting up a new cube for an employee. There was no network connection at the location of this new cube, so I pulled a new CAT5 run from the switch to this location and used one of those standard modular wall plates with an ethernet punchdown connector that pops into the plate.
Once I finished with the run, I tested the connection with a laptop....no problems. Connected immediately, obtained an IP address and I was online. That was a week ago...just got the cube set up and the employee moved in the other day, and when I moved his PC and connected it to this same connetion....no connectivity. Just shows the standard "network cable is unplugged" (PC has static IP info....same setup it's had for 3 years). Changed to DHCP and it attempts to get an IP address for a few seconds, then shows "network cable is unplugged".

Tried a 2 different cables with same result so I figured I messed up the connection on the wall plate during setup (had to pull another cable down the same wall after I ran the CAT5, but I hooked a laptop up to it again and it connects instantly. Pulled another desktop to the location and it connects instantly. Back to desktop in question...nothing.

Then I thought that maybe the NIC was hosed (I had just moved it from a working location and only thing extra I did was take it outside and clean the dust from the case), so I updated the drivers...no go. Even disabled the integrated card and installed a 2nd card and it reacted the exact same way as the integrated.

Then I ran a cable from the port in another office and the PC connected instantly with either installed NIC, so for some reason, this particular desktop has an issue with this particular network jack. The only suitable temporary workaround I could find was putting a switch in between the PC and the jack. It works fine through the switch, but not directly plugged into the wall.

Any ideas as to what gives here?

could be that the plug on the other end fo the cable is pooched or that the port it is plugging into on the other end it is dead or on it's way out.

could be that the plug on the other end fo the cable is pooched or that the port it is plugging into on the other end it is dead or on it's way out.

I am going to second this, did you try swapping the ports on the central switch you ran the cable from? Did you run a cable test? (I know it worked on other computers, but electronics are funny like that)

I've tried different ports on the main switch and get the same result. I also tested all remaining ports on the main switch with a laptop connected directly via short cable and they all seem good....in a short test anyway.

The termination on the switch end *should* be OK....I put it on myself after I ran the cable, and it works with other computers.

One other thing I tried....we have 4 or 5 identical computers in this area...user info is the only difference, and I ran a long cable from the port in question to another computer the same as the one in this cube and it won't connect using that port either. These are Dell Dimensions....just a little over 3 years old...identical hardware.

could it be that you are using a cross cable? have you tried using a different patch cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom