Sonicwall AP provisioning over Metro Ethernet

duffman667

Beta member
First of all Hi. My name is Matt and I am a Network Admin/Web Designer for a healthcare facility. I have recently been revamping our wireless because the Net Admin I replaced didn't seem to know a whole lot about WiFi. I split off our WiFi into 3 VLAN's (Private, Public, Phones). Everything works fine at our main location but I am wanting to use Access points at one of our MAN locations across the street using the same setup but I can't get the Access points to provision back to our WLC at our main location. Here are some details:

WLC is a Sonicwall NSA 3500
All AP's are Sonicpoint N's
Main Location IP 172.16.0.0/23
Branch Location I am trying to connect Sonicpoints is 192.168.1.0/24
All routers/switches are 3com/HP
WiFi VLan 100 is Public (172.16.100.x), 200 (172.16.200.x)is Private and 205 (172.16.205.x) is phones

The diagram kind of looks like this:
MAIN LOCATION
S1-------R1--------MetroEthernet--------R2-------S2

So I am not sure if I need to pass VLAN traffic over my Metro Ethernet link or what exactly I need to do to get those Sonicpoints to provision. Some ideas I have had thrown at me:
EoIP
Autonomous AP with Repeaters
Bridge Connections
QinQ
Install 2nd WLC at branch location and use S2S VPN back to main location
Nothing, Should work just by plugging AP into switch on Branch Side
Can't be done with Sonicwall's current version.

Needless to say I am looking for any advice or information that would help. This crap was so much easier to setup using Cisco lol. Thanks for any help!

Matt

Last edited:
Ok,,,,you say you are an network admin with other background......

This means to me that you have a lot of experance, (hands on, schooling,etc) and you SHOULD know the answer already.

As some one who is only 'street' schooled in a lot of network back ground, I have to say that by asking the question you did, I would not like working with you.

I build out network systems all the time and for the most part some one else 'runs' the system.

However, I did build and do run 3 networks of my own and except for some special setups I learned every thing between the net and hands on.

Now for MY answer to YOUR question, why do you not install a 5g bridge link between the two buildings and then use one location as the main hub which does DHCP and every thing else.

I have one of my locations that has this setup and it is a 3 mile hop between buildings.

Master router is in the 'main' building and does all DHCP, internet, file sharing servers etc.

Been on line for over 4 yrs without a problem.

I only get called to move or add another computer or printer.

Master location has over 300 hosts and the remote has close to 200.

I use one master router that has the ablity to issue differant sets of IPs and I can restrict each computer or allow internet.

My $.004 worth

Hmmm, very observant of you that I have a lot of experience. But that's not true. I never went to school for computers and never actually touched a computer in my life until about 2007. As far as your response it sounds great....if I wanted to build a 50+ foot tower on each building so I could have a clear Fresnal zone for the bridge to connect with any kind of reliability. My apologies for not mentioning that there is a giant building with tons of trees separating our 2 buildings. Needless to say though I solved the problem today but thanks for your $.004 cents worth anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom