Something is using a tiny amount of my internet bandwidth, someone help me fix please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazekid43

Beta member
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and I was hoping someone could help me in finding out what could be using my internet.
So basically I bought a new hard drive and installed windows 7 on it along with a few programs.

But when I installed net meter from hootech it says that my computer is constantly using about 1.4kb/s on downloading and uploading when im working or when im not doing anything at all..

I took a screenshot of it if it helps:
Untitled.jpg

btw
red= download
yellow = download and upload
green - upload

Could be anything like Steam, or an instant messaging client, all constantly checking in with the servers. Or perhaps Dropbox. Are you running anything like that? If not, I'd do a virus scan, and use 'Spybot Search and Destroy' and 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' in case you've a got a bot on your system.

It's more than likely just the PC querying the nearby servers for DNS and name resolution.

I have network meter in my gadget bar and mine jumps up to 2.4 kbps every few seconds. Scan with malwarebytes and your AV software to verify nothing is on your PC, but you're probably fine.

Thanks for the quick reply, the only program that I have that needs to use its servers on a regular basis is MSN, and Avast 6.
MSN was closed at the time while avast was still running, could it be avast that is using my internet?

Yes, a lot of things use the internet - even if you don't want it to. Windows, Avast, IE all of these programs and many more will query servers for updates.

You will also get spikes because your computer and any computer on your network will send transmittion packets out to see what is on the network and who is available to talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom