Some Networking problems! help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Hey, I downloaded Halo pc demo on my computer and when I tried join a game online it would start, and after about 15 seconds it will freeze, then disconect saying Unable to connect to server or something like that. I tried going to the Microsoft support site but that stuff didn't help. I have Comcast cable internet and run it through a wireless router and usb wireless ethernet adapter, 802.11b . If I close the game right after the message, it shows wireless connection unavalabile, then connects imediatelly back to exccelent signal. Please help if anyone of you smart computer dudes know what to do cause I am not into networking that much. Thanks a lot guys.

Are using WEP encryption? That could cause it. Also update your Firmware on your router. You may also have to open up a direct port through your router for Halo to the Internet. If you need any more help just ask.

dude, the demo is supposed to play online, bloodgulch; even my friend had the demo and played it fine. If I can get into the game for 20 seconds then it must be online enabled duh!!!

Don't get so upset man... it was a suggestion...

I suspect that the wireless is the issue here. It's not the demo. Possiblie latency issues or dedicated port needed are all valid possibilities. The issue seems to be that the game is killing the wireless.

is it possible to run a cable to the PC to test a direct link? There is the chance that when the game starts up the EMI generated from the case is too much for the wireless to maintain stability as well. Get a USB extention cable and run the reciever further from the case as well...

Good Luck

ya, I have the usb extention, it came with the ethernet adapter. It is a pretty good one, 11mb/s and has no problems. I think it could be fixed by setting some settings right, but I'll try what you said too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom