Some Major Network Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam1173

Beta member
Ok,

I am sure its not all that big to you guys but to me it is...I am not going to blow smoke and say I know a great deal about this because I do not, so please tread lightly....

He is the situation, My GF has received for her classroom (she is a teacher) 12 Dell Lapotops, a vid camera, printer, dig camera, projector....she also has a wireless router and a 4 port switch/hub. The people who provided the equipment were suppose to come in and network them, but they have not and they keep giving no reason why they have not. I would like to help her get this working the right way for her.

Her principal was able to get wireless internet on all the machines, but they are not networked properly and it is causing problems because the kids keep getting the software updates and things they should not be . Plus she can not set up shared folders for them to use or restrict what web sites they access.

Can someone explain to me how I can do this with?? Or point me in the direction of someplace I can get step by step instructions on how to do it...remember there is no server...

I know it is long winded, but i wanted to give you all the info i could think of you might needing. Windows XP is operating system

Thanks
John

well, it would be easier to have a AD server and then just sign the correct permissions depending on the user logon, the only other way I can think of is by using 3rd party software, like this URL gives an example:

http://www.cybersitter.com/

just do a google for web filtering software...

As mentioned, AD is the first step. Get Windows 2000 or later running as a domain contoler (more complicated than it sounds) and join the machines to the domain.

From there, the safest bet is to firewall between the router and net connection. Deny *all* traffic, then allow the IP addresses of web sites the kids need to visit. Yes, web filtering software could be used, but to keep kids on track, you'll need to filter out way more than just "naughty" stuff. Not only that, but there is always something that gets through, and always something that shouldn't be blocked, but is. This way, at least you know the kids are only visiting web sites you specifically allow.

I don't intend to be mean, but if you have to ask, its unlikley you'll be able to get things safely set up. Going for local help is the best thing you can do, even if they only help in certian areas and let you do most of the work (its cheaper this way). Since this is for a school, you *may* be able to get someone to do this for little or nothing.

Ok thanks guys, I think I am going to tell her she should send out a letter to the parents looking for someone to donate their time who knows what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom