Some Assistance Please...anything would be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekGirlHere

Solid State Member
Questions about the network...Some Assistance Please...anything would be helpful

I started working for a law firm a few days ago and they are currently using a company for IT on an outsource basis. They have hired me to do their in-house IT stuff and run trial software in court. I have no formal education in IT but have basic common knowledge for today's "in" consumer.

If you were me, what questions would you ask the outsourced IT guy tomorrow about the current network...

Please help with my list of questions.

What software back-up do they run?
How often?

....things that I need to know...

I know that they are running Exchange Server 2003.....

Thanks fellas.......

Are you to be taking over the entire support for the company or assisting in certain ways? Supporting a network involves many different tasks some of which are easy others will require you to have a certain level of knowledge of what is going on. If you could better define your responsibilities we can better equip you.

^^^Agreed,

Most enterprise scale companies will seperate their tech duties. We have Server people, Network people, Workstation people, IT Security people, Operations Security people, Programmers, Database people, etc.

some ideas on what these roles do
Server - administrate directory/mail/file/any servers
Network - run cable, patch panels, administrate DNS tables, IP Addresses, basic connectivity.
Workstation - trouble shoot users/computer/periphreals/etc
* Security - handles security from hackers, logins, permissions, etc
Programmers - just that, program
Database - administrate databases, both critical/mission specific and others that serve a large user base.

If I were to venture a guess, I would imagine that you would fall more in the workstation group, answering questions like "Why cant I access this site?" or "Why won't my printer print?" or even "Install this program."

Also, you may ask the IT business to give you a run down, seeing as how they would still do the heavy lifting, and you could take over some of the more mundane tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom