SMC Barricade 7008ABR Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked my ipconfig (using /all)... it gave me all that you said...

DHCP enabled...... yes
Auto Config enabled..... yes
IP....
subnet mask....
default gateway....
DHCP server.......
AND ONLY ONE DNS

There aren't two listed. Don't know if this matters or not. I'll go check the tcp/ip properties right now to see if it matches...

Ok, you'll only need one, BTW, what was the DNS address. Just want to make sure that it's a valid internet DNS address and not a private address.

-Mike

It's the address of the router. Same address as the router, like when i went to log in and configure the router.

I just put in all the info in the tcp/ip properties, like ya said. I'm using win2000pro... so it didnt say anything about dhcp but i clicked the button that said "USE THIS IP ADDRESS" then filled it in... and the other box below it let me fill in the subnet mask, gateway, and it had two boxes for DNS ... main and alternate... i just typed the single DNS that ipconfig gave me, into both those areas and saved it.

Ok, to find the real DNS servers, log into your SMC again and goto Advanced setup. THen goto the status tab. There should be the status tab or the WAN tab. (It depends on the model). The DNS addresses will be in here.

-Mike

Ok, i've got both WAN and STATUS. I found what i'm looking for though... it's in the STATUS tab. It showed me 2 different DNS numbers... i guess these are public ones? So i should set it to these right?

The gateway and wan ip numbers are different too... do i leave my tcp/ip settings the way i first set them... only change to the 2 new dns? Or do i change the gateway too??

Can you explain to me what the public/private numbers are and what they do??

What is "Lease Time" in the SMC configuration?? Should DHCP be disabled in the SMC config or is that only when my isp actually gives me a static ip?

No, I wouldn't change anything. The lease time is how hoe your lease is for this particular IP address. When the lease expires, the IP will change. You don't need to worry about this though. Just place the two DNS addresses in the TPC/IP configuration on your PC. Leave the IP, subnet and gateway the way they are.
The only thing that you should change is the two DNS server addresses in the Properties section of your tcp/ip settings. :)

-Mike

Thanks for the help and the patience, man. I think i have it set up properly. I tried turning on and off some of the pcs, to generate different ip's on the computers, and it seems the ip for this one is staying the same now.

The things i set are (from memory cause i'm not logged in as admin rightnow):
Get IP address automatically - Is now unchecked
I set the IP address to the routers addy + .101 (i'm not posting my ip here)
Subnet is a bunch of repeated 255. numbers
Default Gateway is set to the Router's # (same number i used when i logged in to it)
For DNS i typed in the primary and alternate DNS that i got from the SMC config, just like you said.

Sound about right? If i have any probs i'll post 'em here when i find them.

Only prob ive got now is i guess i have to find the ports for each program i have to set it to allow file transfers (like yahoo messenger -- can't receive a file now... says my firewall is up. heh). So i'm assuming, like the prob with the fileshare program i had, which is working good now, im gonna have to find the port. Unfortunately, some programs don't tell you what port you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom