SMC Barricade 7008ABR Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Alright. I've got the computers built (well 3 of em anyway) and networked through my new SMC Barricade 7008ABR Router. I need some serious help tweaking this network though. I'm able to get online and all, but that doesn't mean it's configured the way i want it to be. All the computers are able to get online, and all the computers can see each other on the network and can access one another. The problem i'm having right now is that i can't use certain kinds of programs on my computer... for instance... i was trying to get winMX working (a file share program) but because of the network config, apparently things are a little too tight. Nothing can get in... i can't download anything through it (tells me i'm unable to accept incoming TCP connections and unable to send/receive UDP datagrams on any port). So... what do i need to configure to enable a simple file share?

Is there anyway to configure this router?? Sure they gave me a disk.. i stuck it in... it did something for like 15 seconds and it was done lol. It blazed by so fast. I'm stuck here now... what do i do to configure this stuff??

The default password is blank? Hmm. I'll try that. Thanks for the link, Mike, and the help.

Ok. I managed to log in and i ran the setup wizard. Now i've gotta find out what ports these programs use that i want to allow to access? Good grief... how the heck do i do that? LoL.

I guess the good thing is... i'm home all day to sit and figure this out.

Ok um... i need to allow the sending/receiving of UDP datagrams on port 6257 (map a port??), and map an incoming TCP port 6699...

What exactly is mapping a port?
Anyone have an smc router that can talk me through this?

Just follow te instructions above. It walks you through it step by step. You're going to have to make two entries, one for the UDP port and the other for the TCP port.

-Mike

You state "Then enter in the address and port information. Private and Public ports numbers SHOULD BE THE SAME!"

The page has 3 text fields to be filled in. Private IP, Private Port and Public Port. The first private IP should be the IP of the pc on the LAN... i get that part. What i dont get is the private port and public port thing. Am i expected to just type in the number of the port "6257" for both of these fields? Then click UDP for that one? And do the same below it for the next port 6699 and click TCP?

Are there any other steps i need? Is it really just that simple or am i analyzing it all way to much?

Another question... once this is set up... won't i have to change the Private IP field EVERY TIME i get on my computer to use this program, since my ip on the lan changes depending on WHO turns on their pc first? Right now i'm .101 on the LAN, but yesterday i was .100 because i was first. Is there a way to synchronize this so the router knows what pc is which automatically?

Ares said:
The page has 3 text fields to be filled in. Private IP, Private Port and Public Port. The first private IP should be the IP of the pc on the LAN... i get that part. What i dont get is the private port and public port thing. Am i expected to just type in the number of the port "6257" for both of these fields? Then click UDP for that one? And do the same below it for the next port 6699 and click TCP?

This is correct!

As for the private IP thing....do this:
Whatever computer you are going to want to have use this port you'll have to give it a static address. Click Start > Run > type cmd > then in the command prompt type 'ipconfig /all' (with out the single quotes). You'll have your IP address, subnet mask, gateway and two DNS servers. Copy down all this info and then goto your TCP/IP properties for you network adapter and instead of using "DHCP", use static addressing and place all of this info in.....done.

-Mike

Ahhhh. So when i do that.. it configures my pc to acquire the same IP address every time from the router? Do i understand this correctly?

Also, just by trial and error i got the program working (the fileshare program). After i enabled those 2 ports it still wasnt working. The program had another box used to resolve DNS host names. It was automatically set to ALLOW OS to resolve DNS HOST... i unclicked it, and manually put in the IP of my pc on the LAN... next to it port 53 was typed in a box so i just left it there to see what it would do... and i saved the setting and it worked.

Can you maybe explain to me what the DNS HOST thing is all about and what i just did, in essence? Thanks again, Mike. I'll do that static ip thing right now and see if it messes with any of the settings i just configured lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom