Small network usng server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

statman1965

Solid State Member
Can anybody please point me in the right direction. I have set up a 5 client network with a 200 server acting as a file and print server -
1. any good web sites for domain issues and tweaking the set up
and more importantly 2. I have tried adding a modem/router to the hub to give internet access but I am unable to make this happen. I have tried using the crossover switch but I just don't know what I am doing and what I have to do to make it work????
Any advice greatly appreciated.

statman1965 said:
Can anybody please point me in the right direction. I have set up a 5 client network with a 200 server acting as a file and print server -
1. any good web sites for domain issues and tweaking the set up
and more importantly 2. I have tried adding a modem/router to the hub to give internet access but I am unable to make this happen. I have tried using the crossover switch but I just don't know what I am doing and what I have to do to make it work????
Any advice greatly appreciated.

i don't know anything about #1..i've never looked

but #2

how i've always been taugh and done when setting up those three things

modem with patch cable to router input/wan, then patch cable from port 1 on router to port 1 on hub.

as well...did you set up your own static ip's for each comptuer???
ex. 192.168.xxx.xxx
if you did, you will not be able to connect to the internet because your isp is what gives you your ip to connect to the interent.
you let your router or hub determine your lan ip's that it sorts by.

have you configured/set up the router to make sure it's good to go???

just throwin' some stuff out there....can't really tell what the problem is.....

what error messages do you get???
can you connect to any comptuers though network neighbourhood???
do all your led's light up when all the comptuers are connected??? both on the hub and router

Thanks for your response.
I just can't get my head round how to find the router on the network. The network is operating and all computers see the file server. How do i see whether or not the modem/router(1 unit) is set up on the computers or does it not have to be installed?
Do I have to set all the tcp/ip to get an IP automatically?
I am confused, does it show!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom