slow through router

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
my setup is net----> origo adsl modem/router combo ----> linksys wireless g router -----> 2 comps 1 wired one wireless.

now it took me ages to get this setup workin cos it was cheaper to buy a modem router combo than a adsl modem alone. but not it works and the internet sharing works ok and i can share files between the two computers easy enough.

i have two problems.

1stly my speed has dropped alot i would of though if one of the computers was turned off the other one would get the full adsl bandwidth? because im downloadin now with the other comp off and getting a max rate for 10kbs and that isnt very offen. :(

the other problem is playing games on www.zone.com both computers are used to play age of empires 2 and neither work mine does even let me join the game where the oher comp can get in but cant play?? i have tried settin the dmz up. mine is set as the dmz host ip where the other comp has the ports opened? can sum1 point me in the rite direction plz?

Well, it seems that you are behind two forms of NAT with two small firewalls. One firewall is being provided by the Origo and the other by the Linksys. The easiest way to do this is to disable the firewall on the Origo (if possible) and then forward all ports to the second router. Then setup port forwarding as usual through the Linksys. Speeds will vary when going through 2 routers and especially the second being wireless. You may want to stop all internet activity (except from one computer) and then test the speed from a test site. I'm not sure of a good one in the UK.

Mike is right, since both routers are being used, it looks like the packets are being filtered through both NAT's.

I suppose you are using the linksys to provide the wireless connectivity.

Which of the two routers is providing the IP addresses for your computers? Hang in there your problem is as good as fixed.

Let us know how it goes.

ok i can easy disable the NAT on the origo np, but i dont know anything about port forwarding? i think the ips are provided by the origo. the original for the origo was 10.0.0.2 now they are set up as the linksys as 10.0.0.50 and the comps are 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.9? i tried stoppin the internet activity and tested it and only got connection of 300k ish but i pay for 512.

Another thing, make sure you plug in a crossover (which I'm sure you did) between the LAN ports of both routers. I've had problems experimenting with going from LAN port to WAN ports on two internal rouuters like this.

thats one think i didnt know which to do, becuase i contacted the linksys support and they told me not to use a crossover?

i found a speed test at www.adslguide.org.uk

sde my speed is 453kbps upstream and 266kbps which is better than before now NAT is turned off on the origo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom