Slow LAN speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownstone

Beta member
First post guys, so go easy!

I'm getting shockingly slow transfer speeds across my LAN, as you can see only 20-odd% utilized:

TaskMan.jpg

I'm using XP Professional on both machines, one machine has a Netgear FA311 card and the other uses the onboard SIS 900-based fast ethernet adapter. Both are set to 100Base Tx Full Duplex, as is my Origo ASR-8400 router. I've tried numerous cables, all with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

BS...

All the meat, and all it wants - Case, Neuromancer

I didn't look at your task manager screenshot, but I'd be pretty bugged if my NIC had 100% network utilization..

What you want to be concerned with is transfer speeds. grab a big file and pull it between two machines - post the transfer speed here. Bet it's better than you'd think.

Failing that it could be any number of issues. I remember one time some guys @ the place I used to work wried a single CAT5 cable incorrectly. When they plugged it in to the switch it took around 5 secs for the switch to fall over. It was cool, but an example of how something as simple as one wire in a cable can thow a whole network segment out.

chagne the adapters to autoselect, but leave the router at the speed it set at. See if that fixes it for you. We have problems with that in our network. Portmismatch settings are a large issue for out 1800 clients...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom