Slow Internet, High Pings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenenbaum

In Runtime
I'm experiencing my internet only at certain times that I'll get spikes in ping, latency on games, and slow internet browsing.

My internet only slows down when I'm...
A) Downloading Something
B) Watching a Youtube video
C) Loading a intensive web page
D) Connecting to something, such as a game server.

I first noticed this when I went to download SQL from Microsoft.com, and I realized that my internet was running terribly slow, and that this had only started around yesterday, never before.
I went ahead and did a "ping google -t" in cmd, and noticed I only get spikes in ping when I am watching a video, downloading something, etc.

Some might say "Well that happens to everyone"...
Well, it didn't happen before, and I think spikes up to over 2000ms from 30ms is some kind of problem, I just don't know what to do.

I've tried resetting my router, I've tried connecting directly to the modem, I've tried talking to my ISP, they reset my modem on their side, said there was no problems on their end.
I tried pretty much everything you can think of, does anyone have any idea?

I am beginning to think it might be the cable outside or something?
I am no network tech, so I'm not totally sure.

I've ran anti-virus programs, malware programs, and tried 4 different ethernet cables, and also tried 4 different computers, all the same result.

Any ideas on this one guys?

Cable modem? Check your RG-6 cabling and the splitters, make sure your not loosing to much signal if you have multiple splits.... Go to speedtest.net and post your results from there. It could also be the area your in, there could be quite a few people online, if your ISP sees that, and you start doing something really intensive they most likely will throttle your connection so the others can still browse the net quickly.

With something downloading.

Without something downloading.

I checked all my cables and splitters, everything is fine, my cable on television works great.
I talked to "Comcast" and suggested the modem is going bad, they simply tried to argue with me and say there is nothing better then comcast, etc, didn't give me any good support.
They said, "We could send a tech out for 69.95 or more, depending on the situation."
I obviously said "No".
I suggested a problem with the modem, they still argued and said "How is it a problem with a modem?"

They also said everything was fine on their side.
So what could the problem be?

Jesus.... That is TERRIBLE, check and make sure the modem is hooked to the first splitter if you have any... Also try different coax cables in the building... Either you are paying for a VERY VERY basic package that I don't think exists or they have something screwed up, very well could be the modem. But check the signal strength on the cable lines, could be low enough to cause issues like that.

Ah, nevermind it.
I'm moving in a week, so I will be switching away from Comcast.
I'm not paying for a basic package, I'm paying 100$ a month with television.

Looked around, with verizon and 104$ I can get a 20Mbps FiOS connection + 384 channels + home phone.

Anyone have any experience with Verizon and FiOS?

P.S. - Anyone who is considering Comcast, don't do it, my experience with them was horrible.
Dealing with them is like dealing with a broken record.

It just depends on the area, I refuse FIOS in my area because of latency being ****. But OVERALL Fios should be cheaper, and supposedly provides better latency to them, after that it will still depend on the old copper lines they use for other website servers and ****. But Fios should be good... For some reason I have a feeling either your modem is dieing, OR a splitter is bad, or signal going to router from one of the splits in the cable isn't strong enough.

It just depends on the area, I refuse FIOS in my area because of latency being ****. But OVERALL Fios should be cheaper, and supposedly provides better latency to them, after that it will still depend on the old copper lines they use for other website servers and ****. But Fios should be good... For some reason I have a feeling either your modem is dieing, OR a splitter is bad, or signal going to router from one of the splits in the cable isn't strong enough.

Yeah, I thought so too, but Comcast didn't want to help without charging me.

I found out FiOS isn't available in my area ; (

You pay monthly for the service and they would change you 70$ to send a tech out? Holy crap I would get a different provider.

That sucks.... What about time warner? Or how about regular Verizon Cable internet? Or they get rid of that in favor of FiOS?

Haha, I actually did some searching last night, and found out the only thing available in my area that is somewhat fast (Sometimes) is comcast.
I'll just have to stop my service and start it again, and pay for a tech or something.

Unless someone can find something else? I couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom