Slow Internet Connection Speed -- Wireless Network Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fin7710

Beta member
I recently got a new desktop and I am having some trouble with the internet. My house has a netgear router that is setup in the room directly next to mine. I have a very strong signal from the network, but for some reason my connection speed is terrible. This is very weird because the laptop I had before this was far slower and had a great connection speed, no matter where I was in the house.
My desktop specs are:
Windows Vista Basic
4 GB RAM
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2200 (2.2 GHz)
450 GB Hard Drive (800 MHz)
Internal PCI 802.11g Wireless Network Card

My laptop specs are:
Windows XP
504 MB RAM
Intel Pentium M Processor (1.86 GHz)
40 GB Hard Drive (334 MHz)
Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection

I have a netgear router that was just installed this September.
The only reason I could think of for the slow connection speed was that the Wireless Network Card for my laptop wasn't good enough. I would gladly buy a new card if this is the problem, but I really don't know what to buy. I would also like to increase the range of my card because I may be moving upstairs next term. If you think it is the card that is causing these issues, could you point me in the right direction to find a new one? If not, what do you think the reason is, and how can I fix it?

Go with Wireless-N products all around if you can.

Also, please clarify the issue a little more. In the intro, you're talking about a new Desktop that's slow wirelessly, and by the time you finish off you're post, you're talking about getting a new wireless adapter for your laptop?

Sounds to me as if both your laptop and desktop are/were slow Internet speeds, correct?

Could just be a slow Internet. If you are sharing Internet at school (since you said term) your Internet is probably crawling because there are a ton of people using the same connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom