Slow DSL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex4R

In Runtime
I recently built a computer for the business I work for. The computer is used for eBay, and we are getting some lag in the internet connection. It seems to be an unusual problem, I haven't ever seen it before. Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon 2800+ 2.12 GHz
1 GB RAM
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (onboard)
SBC Yahoo! DSL
Firefox Browser
Kerio Personal Firewall
AVG Anti-Virus

The problem is after the computer is booted, I click the eBay bookmark, and it takes approximately 30-40 seconds before it loads the page. It isn't a sluggish connection, because once it starts loading it is loaded almost immediately. It is the same in Firefox, IE, and Outlook Express aswell. It seems like it is just taking a while to connect to the remote server, but once it finally connects it downloads very fast. Not only does this happen when the computer is first booted, but if you let it fall idle for more than 2 or 3 minutes, it will do the same thing. The computer's performance everywhere else is excellent.

Thanks for any help!

If you do a lot of surfing, more then likely the px is infected
do ctrl + alt + delete
click on the performance tab, with the pc in a steady state
it should be almost zero
what does your show ?

The computer is not infected, I am using an up-to-date firewall (KPF), an up-to-date Anti-Virus (AVG), and three up-to-date Spyware scanners (Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware). From my experience with computers, I can tell when one is slow from different types of malware. Thanks for your response!

Also, I forgot to mention in the first post, I am using Windows XP Home SP-2. It currently has all updates/patches. The computer has done this since the first time I ever plugged it into the internet.

Those are all FREE spyware scanners. There is a lot they do not find. What do you have to protect from trojans ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom