Simple Question on Network switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy_taco

In Runtime
I'm looking at a 16 port switch. Every port looks the same. If I hook up 15 PCs to it and make 1 other port to a modem, will they all receive internet access at the same time?

No
Unless you have one of those computers as a Internet Connection Sharing host somewhere on that switch.....

The reason why is because a switch has a table of mac address embedded in it....nothing more. It uses that to figure out where the packet needs to go. In that sense, it sounds like "routing". But far from it. A switch cannot route packets nor does it have a "gateway" function. These two are required for a Internet sharing device (such as a gateway, or a soho "router" that people often have in their homes, or a computer for that matter) to work properly.

Well I'm attempting a venture with gaming centers... What would you reccomend as my network setup?
I'm going to have two seperate internet lines coming in (cable) and they will each split to seperate modems with their own seperate routers. Router 1 will take care of 10 xbox 360s and router 2 will take care of 9 PCs

Are you going to have a computer in an office somewhere? Also, are you going to have a GUI OS based cash register? Or just one of those glorified calculators?

Well what I planned on doing was having the one cable line into a modem and into some sort of router, which 10 xbox 360s would be connected to.
For the other cable line, >modem>router> 9 Pcs. 8 Smartlaunch Clients and 1 Smartlaunch Admin. I'd store hours and all that info on smartlaunch for both consoles and PC, and I would have a normal cash register next to that PC.

Also, all the computers will be running Windows XP, maybe Vista eventually if it ever works right.

EDIT: Is there any way to connect to the internet with a switch?

SmartLaunch...best choice BTW... anyway:

Sure that'll work. it really depends on how much flexibility you want, money you want to spend, how much control you want to have.

From your description you'll need at least:
CABLE MODEMS
2 cable modems

ROUTING
2 routers (or 1 router capable of 2 subnetworks....too expensive though)

SWITCHING
(Option 1)
2 simple 16 port switches (one connected to each router)
This method would just be easier on the eyes....nothing more

(Option 2)
1 simple 32 port switch (You would then have to plug in each router to the switch ... perhaps 1 router in at Port 1 and 1 router plugged in at Port 17)
This would allow you make the "Console" network from ports 2 - 16 and the "Smart Gaming (PCs)" network from ports 18 to 32. You would then just simply make each router's internal IP address coincide with the network it's providing to....for instance having the gaming network a 192.168.0.x network with the gateway/router's internal IP address of 192.168.0.1 THEN have the other network be 192.168.1.x with the gateway/router's internal IP setup as 192.168.1.1. Then you would have to turn off DHCP and assign each PC a static address. When you plug in the gateway address as either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 then the switch will know which direction to send the data...or which gateway router to send the data to essentially.

(Option 3)
You could use 1 32 port managed switch and break it off into 2 VLANS
Essentially, the same as option 2 except with loads more security between the two networks, the ability to log into the switch from home (in this case the switch is "smart" and not only hold Mac address, but also IP addresses). The smart switch also has it's own IP address and tons of features for propagating traffic, security, etc.

Also, all the computers will be running Windows XP, maybe Vista eventually if it ever works right.

EDIT: Is there any way to connect to the internet with a switch?

In a short answer no.... If you are going to have 2 internet connections then you are going to have to get 2 routers. You don't want to use ICS in a gaming center environment.

So tell me if I'm right here.

Cable line>Cable Modem>Router>Switch>Xboxes
and
Cable line>Cable Modem>Router>Switch>PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom