Simple networking problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
hey all, Im having a bit of a networking problem here on our work network. We have about 8-10 computers running on this small network here, and 2 of the computers cannot be seen, but they CAN see other computers fine. All the settings are the same, so Im not sure what went wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can you ping the computer that you can't see? What OS are you running on all the computers? Are there any firewall/security software running that could perhap interfere?

hey there. im sort of a newb when it comes to networks. Im running Windows XP Pro on all computers. There is the standard Windows XP firewall that is set to ON on all the computers. What is the command string to ping a computer on my network? Thanks

The command is ping remote_machine for example:

Open up command prompt.

ping an ip address = ping 192.168.1.1
ping a computer name = ping computerA

If you can successfully ping the remote machines and the remote machines can sucessfully ping you. You have network communication. Then you should be able to fix the problem by running the command below

Open up command prompt and do the commands in red on ALL computers below

nbtstat -R

then

netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Ok I did that above and still nothing has changed. I am able to ping all but one computer. That means that 2 out of the 3 that are having problems can all ping and be pinged from other computers, and that leaves 1 computer that cannot be pinged. I tried what you suggested above on all machines and nothing worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom