Signing up with Comcast, need advice

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hello everyone
Hope I'm in the right group

So I'll be in my new apartment next saturday and I wanna make sure I got my network all set up.
I have to go with Comcast since Century link DSL sucks over here.

I only need internet so i saw that they charge $35/month for 12 months, I'm guessing I have to pay for the installation charges which sucks unless someone has a way around it.
We already have an account with Comcast for my current home so should we use that same account or create a new one?
Should I lease or buy a modem
I'd like a wireless modem like the All in One Arris we lease over here.
I've been hearing a lot of good things about this
MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet (RJ-45) - Newegg.com
If there isn't a good all in one, i'd like to get that, however what wireless router should I get to pair with it?

I'll be getting the "Up to 50mpbs line"
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

So after you move in, what are you doing about TV? Does the building have its own service that you will be a part of?

Comcast has a basic internet for $35-40 a month depending on where you are at. PLUS the lease $$ for the modem.

It is not real fast but it is bettert then dial up.

Why do you say the DSL sucks? price, service?

In my area, DSL is actually cheaper and faster then basic cable internet.

You say 'over here', here is 'over here'?

As for the account, are you permanently moving out of your home/house or is this your parents home?

If it is your home and you have sold it and permanently moving out, Comcast will allow you to 'move the account' to the new location and then do a down grade to base internet only if you do not need the tv service.

You can also take the modem with you, if you wish to buy your own and save the $$ leasing to Comcast, go to Best Buy and you have a choice of several modems.

I bought my own at Best buy and got a Surfboard that has 5 either ports and wifi for $130.00 now I save the $7+ a month to Comcast.

sorry i should've been more clear
When i say "Over Here", that's my parents home and it's under my brothers account, we all live together, he just got married so he's taking over our spot in the house so we're moving out.
Dsl sucks over here because of the max speed I can get at the new location and the price is about the same of Comcast.
I can get upto 50mbps for $35 a month
Should I get that router that I posted? what wireless router should I get along with it?
Any tips on avoiding installation fees? They have an option for installing it myself ro $10 or bringing someone over for $30

Why didn't you just get the model up from that? The 6580 or whatever. You can even buy them from Walmart lol. Has built in Wireless N.

My personal pick out of those would be the N66u.

My yearly promo is up this month with AT&T so I'm doing the same thing by switching over to Comcast on the 19th (a promo discount deal for one year) . I have the same SB6141 modem that I used last year when I had Comcast and it worked great. I've also heard of very good reviews of that Asus wireless router so you should be good with that set up

I have a SB6121 and it is great with Charter. I agree with Joe... you should be gold.

Sweet man I hope it works but hear my warning, don't use surfboard modems with comcast for too long.
One of those main reasons is severe heat problems and connection problems.
Over the past 8 years I chucked out 2 surfboards even comcast represenatives and higher tier technicians stay away from motorola.

Your paying the same price I do currently minus the 7.00 rental fee and tax but it does more than I need it to.

Sweet man I hope it works but hear my warning, don't use surfboard modems with comcast for too long.
One of those main reasons is severe heat problems and connection problems.
Over the past 8 years I chucked out 2 surfboards even comcast represenatives and higher tier technicians stay away from motorola.

Your paying the same price I do currently minus the 7.00 rental fee and tax but it does more than I need it to.

Mike if not Motorola, What would you recommend for agood modem for Comcast, Was watching this thread so I could buy a good one. Will be switching to Comcast myself in a month or two when I move, DSL in my area is horrible and constantly going offline having to reboot the modem constantly, And I have two modems I switch back and forth and both do the same so it's not the modem, It's the crappy very old phone lines they don't want to upgrade in my area

Back
Top Bottom