Shes gonna BLOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Okay, this was my first ADSL modem, so i didnt really understand the temperature it was meant to be running at. I just put my hand on the top plastic and its pretty friggen hot. Also, i did some research and this particular modem i have (its a Dynalink) that i got for free from my telco has always had overheating problems.

Im meant to be getting around 10mbps for my area and such and i get around 5mbps. I rang up and they did the usual checks and the guy said there is definitely a lot of interference. After a lot of research im convinced that heat is definitely a problem i need to deal with with this modem.

With that being said. How do i cool it. My Number 1 option that i wanted to do was get cpu heatsink from my local shop for $10 and put it on top. The only problem is how do i power it. The only thing i could think of was a USB to Molex adapter but they dont exist without some DIY stuff.

So my other option was a USB fan because my PC is only around 80CM away. Will this do ANYTHING at all?

What other ways could i cool my modem down?

You cold pop open the housing and aim a fan at it, but then you wouldn't be able to return for replace it should the need arise.

You could also go and buy your own modem. The ones furnished by ISPs are usually crap. I know mine is. I may be changing ISPs from DSL to cable, so I am waiting before I invest in one.

Okay yeah i think its come down to it. I had another topic about choosing a new one and i think its gonna work out that i buy a new one anyway. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom