Sharing USB devices over a wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and lastly...could you connect a regular usb hub to a router using a usb to rj45 adapter (like this one ANTOnline.com - CP Technologies CP-USB-RJ45M CP Technologie THUM SIZE 10/100 ETHRNT ADPTER ( CP-USB-RJ45M ))....would this allow for a normal hub to become a network hub?

Why not just get this? Belkin : Network USB Hub
Or something along that line of a product.

The only reason that I'm suggesting that is because there is no guarentee that the two devices (RJ45 to USB adapter and USB hub) wouldn't ignore some potion of the IP protocol stack sent to it in order to find a particular device. I would just get one that is specifically made for the job.

upon looking at the reviews for the belkin hub i have heard bad things about how its not compatible with all usb devices and that it has problems with powering bus powered drives...i have a seagate free agent go 120 gb and it does take up two usb ports so do you think that I would have any problems with this.....has anyone ever used this device before?

I can HIGHLY recommend this:
Newegg: D-Link DNS-323

it is basically an external enclosure for 2 SATA hard drives. You can connect it directly to your router with RJ-45, and it has a USB port also, which can be used for a USB printer, or other USB devices if you hack the device... (pretty simple). I myself have one sporting two Seagate 500 Gig drives. Out of the box, this thing supports FTP, uPNP, and an iTunes server (probably something I am forgetting too). LOTS of good info on the unit can be found at start - DNS323Wiki . There are guides to getting telnet access to the box, and running a webserver. I have a webserver on mine, and I am able to get to my webpage and FTP server over the internet.

I should NOTE, the NICE thing about this box, is that since it is connected to my ROUTER, and not directly the PC, I don't have to have my PC at home turned on to access it over the web. (personally, mine is on 24x7 anyways, but I know some people don't do this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom