Sharing a Printer/Scanner/Copier

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Is it possible to share the entire thing on a network? Obviously it's easy to share a printer, but I want to share the entire thing, printer, scanner, built in memory card reader. Reason is I may bring my second desktop to school and put this one under my bed as a dedicated server (for SMB network shares, media sharing on TVersity, and possibly my HP Photosmart C4400 p/s/c. I hate sharing off of my desktop because every time I switch OS'es, my network shares go down, any downloads I'm running go down, my media sharing goes down, etc. I also think my printer takes up too much space on my desk and if I could put it under my bed with my server that'd be good too.

Man i'm wondering the same thing. I know you could if it was network enabled... obviously. But to take an all-in-one device and make it wireless when it isn't already.... i don't htink you can. The only way I would know how is to possibly purchase a USB Wi Fi card (assuming you have a USB port on this printer) and use that. But would that work thought? Because i'm sure the hardware is setup to only recognize new computers, not a network.

Am I on the right track, or are you talking about something else?

Yea, you could share the scanner and other functions of the device if it existed on the network somewhere (directly or by sharing the device from a node). For scanning and any other input functionality, you would have to have it supported by a 3rd party software piece. Scanning is an input function, just like a mouse or keyboard, so thats how an OS will see it. That's why you'll have to load each client with whatever software package needs to be installed in order for the node to see it. By default...especially for windows, you wont be able to load a network scanner (shared over the network) without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom