Sharing a particular folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
Hey i jus bought a laptop, i have all my music in one folder on my desktop computer and the folder is shared. Now my dad also has a computer. I DONT want my dad to be able to access my shared music folder over the wireless network but I want to be able to access it from my laptop. SO basically i wanna be able to acces that folder on my host computer but i dont want him to be able to access it from his onw computer. How can i make it so only I can access that folder even though it is shared. THanks for the help guys!

Right click on the shared folder and select properties. Go to the security tab. If there is no security tab you must disable simple file sharing in able to access it. To do that go to the control panel>folder options>view and towards the bottom uncheck, use simple file sharing.

Once in the security tab remove all users (espicially the everyone group) and only allow yourself and your laptop user account to be the only ones with full control. Then this will ensure he has no way to access it.

UPDATE:

I see nothing about a checkbox disabling simple file sharing... I am running windows XP jus incase that may make a diference.

Sweeet deal! Adding this to my XP Home collection tweaks :) I try an avoid home, but nice to know the differences in tasks every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom