Sharing internet between 2 computers in the same house

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlambeauleapx

Solid State Member
Alright, I need some help with this...

I recently moved into someone's house out of college and I want to connect my computer to internet. There is already Cable in the house and I want to use that. The person has a cable modem and a linkysys wireless router on their Windows vista CPU. My computer has a wireless receiver with the antenna (Zonet ZEW1602) and is Windows XP.

I got the things connected and the updated drivers installed, but I am lost after that.

This is the installation guide they have on thier website that I am going by http://www.zonetusa.com/file/product/d/D00000062_91.pdf Basically, I'm at Chapter 5.

When I do "site survey" it does get a 12% signal from the router, but thats about it. Also, I have no idea what to do after I go to the associate part or how to figure out if I'm WEP, etc.

How do I establish internet connection from the upstarts to downstairs Computer? Does my computer also need a cable modem? Also, the computer currently on the internet has a firewall and is the one on Vista.

Thanks.

You need to ask the owner of the wireless router what type of security he set up (ie wep, wpa or wpa2) and get the key to it.

Once you connect you tell it what type of encryption is in place, put in the key and you should be good to go.
12% should allow you to browse the internet just fine but if you need some additional boosting check this out:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/new-saxon-s-wifi-shop-213556/

On a side note: Brett Farve as a Viking?

You need to ask the owner of the wireless router what type of security he set up (ie wep, wpa or wpa2) and get the key to it.

Once you connect you tell it what type of encryption is in place, put in the key and you should be good to go.
12% should allow you to browse the internet just fine but if you need some additional boosting check this out:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f40/new-saxon-s-wifi-shop-213556/

On a side note: Brett Farve as a Viking?

:eek::freak:

Can't wait for the season to start. Bears/Cutler, Vikings/Favre, Packers/3-4, Lions/0-16 again? Haha just wrong seeing Favre in purple though.

Ok, to follow up:

What if the guy does not know the WEP, WPA, and when I go to the 192.168.1.1, does not know the username or password to retrieve it?

Well, if you cAn get to 192.168.1.1, you're connected to the router... so Its not secured, so you should be able to surf/use the internet.

The pass is probably admin with the user: admin

Yea I tried admin-admin and leaving them blank and any combo with those 2 and it did not log in.

The router works, but I can't connect my other computer to it because I don't have the keys, so that computer has no internet.

Okay.. which computer can hit 192.xx.xx.xxz.xx? your wireless or ba wired?

If you can't get the pass, youre going to need a hard reboot of the router to erase all the settings.
Thedn it'll be unsecure, the pass is default, and byou should b able to get on he net via the wifi.

Okay.. which computer can hit 192.xx.xx.xxz.xx? your wireless or ba wired?

If you can't get the pass, youre going to need a hard reboot of the router to erase all the settings.
Thedn it'll be unsecure, the pass is default, and byou should b able to get on he net via the wifi.

Ok, the computer with router and modem.....if i typed in the IP i had to give it a user and pass which have just found out what was .... so reconfiguring the router shouldn't be necessary.

The computer with the wireless receiver is what I am trying to figure out how to get online (never done a network before).

Is the encryption key the WPA key (Security Mode is WPA-Personal & Encryption method is TKIP).

Okay...... Golden....

Yes...Now, do you know the key? If so, on the wifi comp, connect to the router using the wpa tkip password.

If you don't know it, just make A New one, then, like above, connect using the new password.

youre about 10mins from working.

Edit

Use the windows connection manager, instead on the cards one... Win actually does a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom