sharing files between two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
ok here is my situation i have almost 7GB of files that i downloaded on my desktop that i need to transfer to my laptop i tried using my flashdrive but its only 1GB and it will take a long time to do everything my question is if there some kind of software that i can get to connect both computers? or any other way that i can do this

thanks in advance

You could use a Crossover cable.

You plug each end into an RJ-45 Port (Ethernet) and then you should be able to transfer stuff easily.

The method vern listed is probably the easiest way.
If your pc has wireless you could also connect to the laptop that way (a wireless router would work too if your pc doesn't have a wireless card)

What do you mean by 'basic'? There are two main kinds of Ethernet cables, straight-through and Crossover. As stated, you'll need a Crossover cable. You can get them from any computer store for a few dollars.

what i meant by that was i thought it was just only only one Ethernet cable, the one that everyone uses for the internet

If you do not have a router or switch you need a crossover cable. They are wired differently from the standard (straight) cable everyone use for the internet. You will need to assign ip addresses to each computer ie. comp 1: 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 comp 2: 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0.

Put them in the same workgroup, set up network shares and you are good to go.

cable-tutorial.jpg

filezilla. its a great program, 7GB i would use a cable and not wireless, alot faster.

FileZilla - The free FTP solution

**edit**
If you do not have a router or switch you need a crossover cable. They are wired differently from the standard (straight) cable everyone use for the internet. You will need to assign ip addresses to each computer ie. comp 1: 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 comp 2: 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0.

Put them in the same workgroup, set up network shares and you are good to go.

cable-tutorial.jpg

some newer PC's will detect it and change the pinout with software automaticly now. but you still better off with a crossover cable.

i have a lot of 20-70 MB files and i do have a router but i will check into getting one of those cables for future purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom